MIRA COSTA HIGH
“Mira Costa is a community of learners where each member
has the opportunity to achieve academic, creative,
personal, and social excellence.”
Wednesday, November 13, 2019 Office Hours Schedule
Period 0 7:00-7:55
Period 1 8:00-8:40
Period 2 8:46-9:27
AM O.H. 9:27-10:24 (English, Social Science, VAPA, Foreign Language)
Period 3 10:30-11:10
Period 4 11:46-12:26
PM O.H. 12:26-1:23 (Math, Science SpEd, PE)
Period 5 1:29-2:09
Period 6 2:15-2:55
TODAY 11/13 – Office Hours Schedule; Hispanic Heritage Assembly; NCAA Signing Day #1 Fall in the Mustang Mall; National Letter of Intent Day; She Kills Monsters at 4 pm in the Small Theater
THU 11/14 – Redlands High School Women’s Choral Festival, Choral Union; She Kills Monsters at 6:30 pm in the Small Theater
FRI 11/15 – She Kills Monsters at 7:30 pm in the Small Theater
SAT 11/16 – Choir Vox Femina Concert, Choral Union at First Congregational Church LA; Progress Report Grades Visible in Aeries; She Kills Monsters at 7:30 pm in the Small Theater
TUE 11/19 – Club Council Meeting at lunch in Room 41; Lip Sync Dress Rehearsal at 3 pm in the Auditorium; Special Screening of Screenagers Next Chapter: Uncovering Skills for Stress Resilience at 7 pm in the Auditorium
WED 11/20 – Office Hours Schedule; Blood Drive; Choir MB Pier Lighting at 6 pm at MB Pier; Lip Sync event at 7 pm in the Auditorium
THU 11/21 – Scholar Breakfast at 7 am in the Cafeteria (new date!); Principal’s Tour at 9 am in the Admin Office
· Please release the following students this week:
o TODAY 11/13 – Cast & Crew of She Kills Monsters (see emailed list) at 2 pm; Boys’ Water Polo (see emailed list) at 1:45 pm; Girls’ Tennis (Varsity – see list) at 1:00 pm
o FRI 11/15 – Cross-Country (see emailed list) from 7:00 am to 2:00 pm
· JAPAN 2020 meeting TODAY at lunch in Room 72. Domo Arigato!
· Homerooms: We will be collecting the homeless containers TODAY. Thank you for participating in feeding our neighbors on Skid Row, and for giving the gift of hope.
· She Kills Monsters early shows TODAY at 4 pm and Thursday at 6:30; Saturday and Sunday shows at 7:30 pm, as well! Come see an action-fueled epic that transports us from the halls and fields of an Ohio high school to the fantasy world of a role-playing game. Tickets available online at miracostadramaboosters.org.
· Boys’ Tennis will be holding tryouts at Mira Costa tennis courts from 3 to 5:30 pm on the following days: New Players, 12/2 – 12/5; Returning Players, 12/3 – 12/5; 12/6 if needed.
· Swim Team tryouts are Dec. 9. Warm-up/check-in starts at 2 pm and the tryout starts at 3 pm. If you are interested in trying out for the team or have any questions, please see Coach Halushka in Room 56 at lunch or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
· Attention Seniors! This is the last month to purchase Senior Ads for the 2020 yearbook. For more details and information, visit the “Yearbook” tab on the Mira Costa website then click on “Senior Ads,” or visit Room 102.
CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS
· For information about upcoming events in the Drama Department, come to Drama Club TODAY at lunch in Room 1!
· Come to the Gamers Enthusiast League on Wednesdays (TODAY) during PM Office Hours in the Library. We play board games, card games, party games, and more. See you there!
COLLEGE AND CAREER CENTER
· Schedule a one-on-one appointment with one of our credentialed college counselors.
Call 310-318-7337 ext. 5253 or email email@example.com to schedule your appointment.
· College Essays – If you’d like a CCC counselor to revise your personal statement or personal insight questions, bring a double-spaced copy to the CCC. Be sure to include your name, email, and the prompt to which you are responding.
· *SENIORS* The UC & CSU Application closes on Nov. 30. The CCC is closed the week of Thanksgiving Break, which overlaps that deadline. Please make sure to visit us the week prior to the break (11/18 - 11/22) with any questions. If you have any essays to be reviewed prior to the Nov. 30 deadline, please submit them to the CCC by Tuesday, Nov. 19.
· College Representative Visits in the CCC – If visit is during class please get teacher permission to attend. This is an opportunity to learn about your schools of interest and meet the admission counselors. View all visits and sign up to attend on NAVIANCE. Please bring your school ID.
o Thursday, 11/14 – University of Hawaii at 2:00pm.
o Tuesday, 11/19 – Michigan State University at 10:23am; El Camino College Application Workshop at 12:20pm.
o Wednesday, 11/20 – Santa Monica College at 9:27am.
· Local Events
El Camino College invites you to College Night – Wednesday, Nov. 13 anytime between 5:30pm – 8:00pm. Come learn about everything El Camino College has to offer! Resource Fair* Donuts with the Deans* Chat with the Counselors* Twilight Campus Tours* Assistance Applying to ECC and South Bay Promise* Workshops on Financial Aid, Transfer Strategies, Career Education. For more info and RSVP: www.elcamino.edu/collegenight.
UC Irvine Summer Surgery Program – The program offers two, two-week intense sessions for mature high school students who are at least 16 years old, have a minimum GPA of 3.5, and are currently enrolled in high school. Observe live surgical cases, gain hands-on experience with our state-of-the-art da Vinci robot. Learn actual surgical skills in open laparoscopic and robotic surgery through surgical skills workshops. Perform in-depth fetal pig dissection with an emphasis on the types of surgical cases the students will see in the operating room. If you are interested, go to: http://www.urology.uci.edu/education_summersurgery.shtml to apply. For more information email: firstname.lastname@example.org://www.miracostahigh.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=349754&type=d&pREC_ID=759373
· BCHD IS OFFERING the High School Purpose Program on Wednesday, Nov. 13 at 12:26pm (PM Office Hours) in the CCC. For students, finding purpose is important as they discover their life goals and make career choices. The Purpose Series gives students an opportunity to pause; reflect; and decide not only what they want to be but also who they want to be. Research tells us, people with purpose live longer, have higher performance, and are happier. By participating in school-based purpose activities, students have a new understanding of what their purpose is and why it matters, while also discovering their calling for this stage in their lives in order to be better prepared for the future. Please sign up on Naviance or in the CCC if you are interested in attending this session.
· Test Prep Resources are listed on the MCHS website→College Tab→Testing or use the link: http://www.miracostahigh.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=349909&type=d&pREC_ID=759631