Grades of Green
Grades of Green inspires and empowers the students at MCHS to care for the environment by providing MCHS with:
- Eco-consultation of the school;
- Assembly to educate students about the importance of conserving natural resources, reducing litter and landfill waste, preventing pollution, and the 3R’s (reduce, reuse and recycle);
- Implementation of a lunch time sorting system which will give students the opportunity to sort their waste into specific bins including: recycling, bottles and cans, landfill and liquids;
- Waste audit to assess how well students recycle before and after the implementation of the lunch time sorting system;
- Encouragement to keep the campus litter-free.
MCHS Lunchtime Sorting Station
Why? To reduce landfill waste and encourage social responsibility above students. Over $2000 possible savings to district if done correctly everyday.
- Green cart (with yellow lid): all food and liquid waste including milk cartons and paper cartons and wrappers…pizza boxes too.
- Blue cart (on wheels): empty bottles and cans for CRV
- Blue mesh/metal can with clear liners: basically ANY clean and empty plastic or aluminum recyclable materials such as: plastic salad containers, cups, Lunchable containers-…if it contains food or liquid and can get other material “ooey gooey”, empty it in “food waste” before recycling.
- Grey mesh/metal can with dark liners: flimsy plastic snack wrappers.