MIRA COSTA HIGH
“Mira Costa is a community of learners where each member
has the opportunity to achieve academic, creative,
personal, and social excellence.”
Thursday, November 14, 2019 Regular Schedule
TODAY 11/14 – Redlands High School Women’s Choral Festival, Choral Union; She Kills Monsters at 6:30 pm in the Small Theater
FRI 11/15 – She Kills Monsters at 7:30 pm in the Small Theater
SAT 11/16 – Choir Vox Femina Concert, Choral Union at First Congregational Church LA; Progress Report Grades Visible in Aeries; She Kills Monsters at 7:30 pm in the Small Theater
TUE 11/19 – Club Council Meeting at lunch in Room 41; Lip Sync Dress Rehearsal at 3 pm in the Auditorium; Special Screening of Screenagers Next Chapter: Uncovering Skills for Stress Resilience at 7 pm in the Auditorium
WED 11/20 – Office Hours Schedule; Blood Drive; Choir MB Pier Lighting at 6 pm at MB Pier; Lip Sync event at 7 pm in the Auditorium
THU 11/21 – Scholar Breakfast at 7 am in the Cafeteria (new date!); Principal’s Tour at 9 am in the Admin Office
FRI 11/22 – Comedy Sportz Match
· Please release the following students this week:
o FRI 11/15 – Cross-Country (see emailed list) from 7:00 am to 2:00 pm
· Thailand 2020 – All students going to Thailand must attend a meeting Wednesday, 11/20, at lunch in Room 234. Bring a friend – we have a few spots left!
· She Kills Monsters early shows TODAY at 6:30 pm; Saturday and Sunday shows at 7:30 pm, as well! Come see an action-fueled epic that transports us from the halls and fields of an Ohio high school to the fantasy world of a role-playing game. Tickets available online at miracostadramaboosters.org.
· Boys’ Tennis will be holding tryouts at Mira Costa tennis courts from 3 to 5:30 pm on the following days: New Players, 12/2 – 12/5; Returning Players, 12/3 – 12/5; 12/6 if needed.
· Swim Team tryouts are Dec. 9. Warm-up/check-in starts at 2 pm and the tryout starts at 3 pm. If you are interested in trying out for the team or have any questions, please see Coach Halushka in Room 56 at lunch or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
· Attention Seniors! This is the last month to purchase Senior Ads for the 2020 yearbook. For more details and information, visit the “Yearbook” tab on the Mira Costa website then click on “Senior Ads,” or visit Room 102.
CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS
· Come to the Coral Reefs for Change Club at lunch TODAY in Room 339 to help raise money and awareness for corals.
COLLEGE AND CAREER CENTER
· Schedule a one-on-one appointment with one of our credentialed college counselors.
Call 310-318-7337 ext. 5253 or email email@example.com to schedule your appointment.
· College Essays – If you’d like a CCC counselor to revise your personal statement or personal insight questions, bring a double-spaced copy to the CCC. Be sure to include your name, email, and the prompt to which you are responding.
· *SENIORS* The UC & CSU Application closes on Nov. 30. The CCC is closed the week of Thanksgiving Break, which overlaps that deadline. Please make sure to visit us the week prior to the break (11/18 - 11/22) with any questions. If you have any essays to be reviewed prior to the Nov. 30 deadline, please submit them to the CCC by Tuesday, Nov. 19.
· College Representative Visits in the CCC – If visit is during class please get teacher permission to attend. This is an opportunity to learn about your schools of interest and meet the admission counselors. View all visits and sign up to attend on NAVIANCE. Please bring your school ID.
o TODAY, 11/14 – University of Hawaii at 2:00pm.
o Tuesday, 11/19 – Michigan State University at 10:23am; El Camino College Application Workshop at 12:20pm.
o Wednesday, 11/20 – Santa Monica College at 9:27am.
· SoCal ROC – Spring semester schedules are now available in the CCC! Reasons to attend SoCal ROC: 1) Earn high school elective credits – many courses are A-G approved; 2) Gain valuable hands-on experience in a variety of careers; 3) Explore careers related to Art & Design, Engineering & Design, Finance & Business, Health Sciences and Public & Consumer Services; 4) Classes are free, and transportation is provided for our 12:45pm and 3:45pm classes. Your SoCal ROC career guidance specialist will be on campus in the CCC on Mondays during 2nd period through snack (9:00am – 10:30am). Drop in during that time, and she can answer any questions or accept applications from interested students.
UC Irvine Summer Surgery Program – The program offers two, two-week intense sessions for mature high school students who are at least 16 years old, have a minimum GPA of 3.5, and are currently enrolled in high school. Observe live surgical cases, gain hands-on experience with our state-of-the-art da Vinci robot. Learn actual surgical skills in open laparoscopic and robotic surgery through surgical skills workshops. Perform in-depth fetal pig dissection with an emphasis on the types of surgical cases the students will see in the operating room. If you are interested, go to: http://www.urology.uci.edu/education_summersurgery.shtml to apply. For more information email: firstname.lastname@example.org
· Test Prep Resources are listed on the MCHS website→College Tab→Testing or use the link: http://www.miracostahigh.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=349909&type=d&pREC_ID=759631