MIRA COSTA HIGH
“Mira Costa is a community of learners where each member
has the opportunity to achieve academic, creative,
personal, and social excellence.”
Monday, December 02, 2019 Regular Schedule
TODAY 12/2 – THU 12/5 – Boys’ Tennis Tryouts (New Players 12/2-12/5, Returning Players 12/3-12/5) from 3 to 5:30 pm at the MCHS Tennis Courts
WED 12/4 – Office Hours/2nd Period Drill Schedule; Coffee with the Principal at 7:30 am in the Admin Office; Turkey Trot from 9 to 10 am
THU 12/5 – PTSA Executive Board Meeting at 12:30 pm
FRI 12/6 – Orchestra Winter Concert at 7 pm in the Auditorium
SAT 12/7 – LAIMUN (campus wide); Christmas Tree Parking Lot Sale; Campus Clean-up Day sponsored by PTSA and ASB from 9 am to 1 pm, meet in the Mustang Mall; Choir MB Downtown Caroling from 2 – 4 pm
SUN 12/8 – LAIMUN (campus wide)
· Link Crew, ASB, and Visual Arts invite you to Frosty Festival this Friday, Dec 6th! Come chill with us in the Mustang Mall from 330-5 for student art, crafts, food, and live music. At 530, we will be showing Elf under the stars! Wear your coziest holiday PJs and bring a blanket. Movie tickets are $5 pre-sale and $7 at the door. To purchase early, head to the student store at lunch or speak to any Link Leader. It’s going to be snow much fun!
· Let’s Turn Black Friday to Green and Gold! A new shipment of Spirit Wear just arrived at the ASB Student Store. Cozy Costa shirts make great holiday gifts. Beat the crowds and order on the ASB Webstore https://mchswebstore.myschoolcentral.com or enjoy personal service by stopping in at the ASB Finance Office. Remember all merchandise is while supplies last; so get yours now.
· The Grammy Award Winning Mira Costa Orchestras present The Winter Concert on Dec. 6 at 7 pm in the Auditorium. Enjoy music by Bizet, Holst, Borodin and Leonard Bernstein’s iconic “Jeremiah” Symphony! Tickets available at the door.
· Boys’ Tennis will be holding tryouts at Mira Costa tennis courts from 3 to 5:30 pm on the following days: New Players, TODAY – 12/5; Returning Players, 12/3 – 12/5; 12/6 if needed.
· Swim Team Tryouts are Dec. 9. Warm-up/check-in starts at 2 pm and the tryout starts at 3 pm. If you are interested in trying out for the team or have any questions, please see Coach Halushka in Room 56 at snack or lunch, at the pool during 6th period, or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS
COLLEGE AND CAREER CENTER
· Schedule a one-on-one appointment with one of our credentialed college counselors.
Call 310-318-7337 ext. 5253 or email email@example.com to schedule your appointment.
· College Essays – If you’d like a CCC counselor to revise your personal statement or personal insight questions, bring a double-spaced copy to the CCC. Be sure to include your name, email, and the prompt to which you are responding. If you have any essays to be reviewed prior to the Nov. 30th deadline, please submit them to the CCC TODAY.
· SENIORS – MCHS Scholarship Notebook Program: The scholarship notebook is a personal profile that will be read by members of community scholarship committees. Each scholarship committee creates their own criteria for selection and carefully screens the applicants to find the appropriate candidates for their scholarships. The scholarship donors are looking for students who may meet ANY of the following criteria: financial need, plan to attend a two- or four-year school or trade school, have completed numerous volunteer hours, plan to study a particular major (i.e. Art, Dance, Business, Education, Language), deserve a merit award for excellent grades, meet any number of additional criteria! *To be eligible to apply, students must attend ONE of the following five information meetings in the CCC: Jan. 8 (PM Office Hours), or Jan. 9, 14, 16, and 23 during lunch. It is mandatory for students to sign up on Naviance prior to the meeting to attend. Please bring your school ID to scan in and $5 to purchase the notebooks.
NOTE: We are confirming donors for the class of 2020 Scholarships. If you’d like to view specific scholarships and the criteria used to select recipients, last year's scholarship chart can be found on the MCHS Website→College Tab→Senior To Dos→Scholarship Notebook.
· College Representative Visits in the CCC – If visit is during class please get teacher permission to attend. This is an opportunity to learn about your schools of interest and meet the admission counselors. View all visits and sign up to attend on NAVIANCE. Please bring your school ID.
o Friday, 12/6 – Santa Monica College at 9:00am; Biola University at 12:20pm (lunch)
o Wednesday, 12/11 – US Air National Guard – Cyberspace Program at 12:26pm (PM Office Hours). Learn about Careers in the field of Cyberspace, and the education benefit, offering tuition fee waiver/Cal Grants to UCs and Cal States.
· Test Prep Resources are listed on the MCHS website→College Tab→Testing or use the link: http://www.miracostahigh.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=349909&type=d&pREC_ID=759631