MIRA COSTA HIGH
“Mira Costa is a community of learners where each member
has the opportunity to achieve academic, creative,
personal, and social excellence.”
Thursday, December 05, 2019 Regular Schedule
TODAY 12/5 – PTSA Executive Board Meeting at 12:30 pm
FRI 12/6 – Orchestra Winter Concert at 7 pm in the Auditorium; Frosty Festival in the Mustang Mall starting at 3:30 pm with Elf showing at 5:30 pm
SAT 12/7 – LAIMUN (campus wide); Christmas Tree Parking Lot Sale; Campus Clean-up Day sponsored by PTSA and ASB from 9 am to 1 pm, meet in the Mustang Mall; Choir MB Downtown Caroling from 2 – 4 pm
SUN 12/8 – LAIMUN (campus wide)
MON 12/9 – Swim Team Tryouts at 2 pm (register at www.miracostaswimdive.com)
· Poetry Out Loud applications are due to Ms. Sieker in Room 44 by Monday, Dec. 16. It’s not too late to grab an application – see your English teacher if you are interested in competing.
· Dare to Be Kind is here! This is a challenge for students to demonstrate kindness throughout the next three weeks! Be kind to win a Costa T-shirt this week, with increasing prizes in the next two weeks.
· Link Crew, ASB, and Visual Arts invite you to Frosty Festival this Friday, Dec 6th! Come chill with us in the Mustang Mall from 3:30 – 5 pm for student art, crafts, food, and live music. At 5:30, we will be showing Elf under the stars! Wear your coziest holiday PJs and bring a blanket. Movie tickets are $5 pre-sale and $7 at the door. To purchase early, head to the student store at lunch or speak to any Link Leader. It’s going to be snow much fun!
· Holiday Shopping? Get Some Cool Costa Gear! A new shipment of Spirit Wear just arrived at the ASB Student Store. Cozy Costa shirts make great holiday gifts. Beat the crowds and order on the ASB Webstore https://mchswebstore.myschoolcentral.com or enjoy personal service by stopping in at the ASB Finance Office. Remember all merchandise is while supplies last; so get yours now.
· The Grammy Award Winning Mira Costa Orchestras present The Winter Concert this Friday, Dec. 6 at 7 pm in the Auditorium. Enjoy music by Bizet, Holst, Borodin and Leonard Bernstein’s iconic “Jeremiah” Symphony! Tickets available at the door.
· Boys’ Tennis will be holding tryouts at Mira Costa tennis courts from 3 to 5:30 pm: New and Returning Players, TODAY, 12/5; possibly 12/6 if needed.
· Swim Team Tryouts are Dec. 9 at 2 pm. You must first register on the Mira Costa Swim and Dive website, www.miracostaswimdive.com. This includes everyone, even those that have registered in the past. Once there, you can register and sign up for your events for tryouts. Tryout registration closes at midnight on Friday, Dec. 6. All swimmers must swim the 100-yard freestyle and one other 100-yard event in breaststroke, backstroke, or butterfly. If you have any questions, email Coach Halushka at firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by his Room 56 at lunch or at the pool during 6th period.
CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS
· The Medical Society Club will be hosting its second Book Drive to Harbor UCLA pediatric Ward. Please donate gently used books to Mr. Kelley’s Room 332 by Dec. 13.
· Please help those who don’t have enough to eat this holiday season by donating food to the Los Angeles Regional Food Bank. There is a box in the Costa main lobby for your non-perishable food donations. For monetary donations, please go to the South Bay Food Initiative website. Thank you!
· Come to Friendship Club every Tuesday and Thursday (TODAY) in room 115!
COLLEGE AND CAREER CENTER
o Schedule a one-on-one appointment with one of our credentialed college counselors.
Call 310-318-7337 ext. 5253 or email email@example.com to schedule your appointment.
o College Essays – If you’d like a CCC counselor to revise your personal statement or personal insight questions, bring a double-spaced copy to the CCC.
o SENIORS – MCHS Scholarship Notebook Program: The scholarship notebook is a personal profile that will be read by members of community scholarship committees. Each scholarship committee creates their own criteria for selection and carefully screens the applicants to find the appropriate candidates for their scholarships. The scholarship donors are looking for students who may meet ANY of the following criteria: financial need, plan to attend a two- or four-year school or trade school, have completed numerous volunteer hours, plan to study a particular major (i.e. Art, Dance, Business, Education, Language), deserve a merit award for excellent grades, meet any number of additional criteria! *To be eligible to apply, students must attend ONE of the following five information meetings in the CCC: Jan. 8 (PM Office Hours), or Jan. 9, 14, 16, and 23 during lunch. It is mandatory for students to sign up on Naviance prior to the meeting to attend. Please bring your school ID to scan in and $5 to purchase the notebooks.
NOTE: We are confirming donors for the class of 2020 Scholarships. If you’d like to view specific scholarships and the criteria used to select recipients, last year's scholarship chart can be found on the MCHS Website→College Tab→Senior To Dos→Scholarship Notebook.
o College Representative Visits in the CCC – If visit is during class please get teacher permission to attend. This is an opportunity to learn about your schools of interest and meet the admission counselors. View all visits and sign up to attend on NAVIANCE. Please bring your school ID.
o Friday, 12/6 – Santa Monica College at 9:00am; Biola University at 12:20pm (lunch)
o Wednesday, 12/11 – US Air National Guard – Cyberspace Program at 12:26pm (PM Office Hours). Learn about Careers in the field of Cyberspace, and the education benefit, offering tuition fee waiver/Cal Grants to UCs and Cal States.
o Test Prep
- The Princeton Review is offering a Test Prep Course for the SAT at Mira Costa. The SAT Ultimate Course features 18 hours of live content and strategy instruction and three full-length proctored practice exams. The course begins in February. Visit PrincetonReview.com/MiraCostaHS for more information and to enroll. Mira Costa Students get 15% off – use promo code MiraCostaHS15.
o Test Prep Resources are listed on the MCHS website→College Tab→Testing or use the link: http://www.miracostahigh.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=349909&type=d&pREC_ID=759631