MIRA COSTA HIGH
“Mira Costa is a community of learners where each member
has the opportunity to achieve academic, creative,
personal, and social excellence.”
Wednesday, December 11, 2019 Office Hours Schedule
Period 0 7:00-7:55
Period 1 8:00-8:40
Period 2 8:46-9:27
AM O.H. 9:27-10:24 (English, Social Science, VAPA, Foreign Language)
Period 3 10:30-11:10
Period 4 11:46-12:26
PM O.H. 12:26-1:23 (Math, Science SpEd, PE)
Period 5 1:29-2:09
Period 6 2:15-2:55
TODAY 12/ 11 – Office Hours Schedule; Neptunian Women’s Club Performance, Choir Vocal Ensemble; Band Winter Concert at 7 pm in the Auditorium
THU 12/12 – NHS Full Chapter Meeting at lunch in the Small Theater; Comedy Sportz Match at 7 pm in the Small Theater ($5 at door)
FRI 12/13 – Ugliest Ugly Sweater Sign-Ups at snack in the Mustang Mall, winners announced at lunch
MON 12/16 – Pajama Day/Late Start Schedule (see website); Faculty Meeting at 8 am; Winter Choral Concert This Shining Night at 7 pm in the Auditorium
TUE 12/17 – Periods 1 & 2 Finals Schedule (see website)
WED 12/18 – Periods 3 & 4 Finals Schedule (see website)
THU 12/19 – Periods 5 & 6 Finals Schedule (see website); Principal’s Tour at 9 am in the Admin Office
FRI 12/20 – Minimum Day Schedule/End of 1st Semester
· Costachella is April 1, 2020! The Costachella Committee is looking for student bands and artists to perform during the event. Interested? Email email@example.com for details!
· Crew Packets are available in Room 104 (shop) for Drama/Tech’s Spring Musical production of Into the Woods. Packets are due to Mr. Jordahl by 12:30 pm on 12/20.
· Audition packets and vocal sides are available in Room 1 for Drama/Tech’s Spring Musical production of Into the Woods. Packets are due to Mr. Westerberg (Room 1) by 12:30 pm on 12/20.
· HEART Club continues week 2 of the Dare to Be Kind Challenge. Great time to earn more tickets from your teachers and Costa staff!
· Stop by the Drama Room 1 during PM Office hours TODAY to see some hallmark scenes and support our December Noontime Theater.
· Please join us at the Mira Costa Bands Winter Concert TONIGHT at 7 pm in the Auditorium. We will be performing some classic holiday literature alongside some bold and beautiful arrangements of holiday themes that are sure to bring this season to life for you and yours!
· The last Art Show of the semester is now open in the Gallery. Come see the work of the fall Printmaking class all this week in Room 60.
· Link Leaders: Please make sure to update your contribution logs in Ms. Hutchinson’s room BEFORE break! All semester 1 points must be approved before the end of the semester. Come during snack, lunch, or office hours to update.
· There will be a 10-minute episode of the Mustang Morning News on Thursday, Dec. 12 at 9 am. To watch, go to our YouTube channel at “Mustang Morning News.”
· REMINDER: Independent Study Athletics (ISA) Students – Activity Logs and Teacher/Coach Evaluations are DUE TODAY!
· Boys’ Golf Tryouts: If you are interested in trying out for Boys’ Golf next semester, see Coach Cox during lunch TODAY in Room 410.
CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS
· If your club is participating in Club Day on January 22, 2020, your club food and/or beverage assignment is posted on the bulletin board outside the ASB Room. Thank you!
· Come to Drama Club TODAY at lunch in Room 1! Don’t miss important information about upcoming events and auditions.
· From now until Winter Break, MCHS’s Animal Outreach Club will be collecting towels, blankets, and toys for the dogs at the South LA County Shelter. A cardboard collection box is stationed outside of Mr. Wheeler’s Room 21!
· Chess Club is taking place on Thursdays at lunch in Room 14. If you are interested in playing chess, learning chess, or improving your skills, this is the club for you. All levels are welcome! Early sign-ups for the first Chess Tournament of the year also will be in Room 14 at lunch.
· Please help those who don’t have enough to eat this holiday season by donating food to the Los Angeles Regional Food Bank. There is a box in the Costa main lobby for your non-perishable food donations. For monetary donations, please go to the South Bay Food Initiative website. Thank you!
COLLEGE AND CAREER CENTER
· Schedule a one-on-one appointment with one of our credentialed college counselors. Call 310-318-7337 ext. 5253 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your appointment.
· PSAT Results – If you took the PSAT in October, College Board is releasing results on their Website. College Board listed Dec. 10 as the score release date for the state of California. When your PSAT/NMSQT scores are ready online, you’ll get an email with instructions on creating your College Board account if you don’t already have one, going to your online score report, and using your access code to view your scores. The link for the College Board Webpage is:
https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/psat-nmsqt-psat-10/scores/getting-scores. If you have trouble accessing your results, College Board provided Mira Costa with a paper copy you can pick-up in the CCC along with your test booklet.
· Juniors Boys – American Legion’s Boys State Program is seeking applicants This is a participatory program in which students become part of the operation of local, county and state government. If selected, students attend the week-long program at Sacramento State University beginning on June 20, 2020. For more information go to: https://www.legion.org/boysnation/about. If you are interested in being considered for the Boys State program, please stop by the CCC to pick up an application. Applications are due in the CCC by: Friday, January 31.
· SENIORS – MCHS Scholarship Notebook Program: The scholarship notebook is a personal profile that will be read by members of community scholarship committees. Each scholarship committee creates their own criteria for selection and carefully screens the applicants to find the appropriate candidates for their scholarships. The scholarship donors are looking for students who may meet ANY of the following criteria: financial need, plan to attend a two- or four-year school or trade school, have completed numerous volunteer hours, plan to study a particular major (i.e. Art, Dance, Business, Education, Language), deserve a merit award for excellent grades, meet any number of additional criteria! *To be eligible to apply, students must attend ONE of the following five information meetings in the CCC: Jan. 8 (PM Office Hours), or Jan. 9, 14, 16, and 23 during lunch. It is mandatory for students to sign up on Naviance prior to the meeting to attend. Please bring your school ID to scan in and $5 to purchase the notebooks.
NOTE: We are confirming donors for the class of 2020 Scholarships. If you’d like to view specific scholarships and the criteria used to select recipients, last year's scholarship chart can be found on the MCHS Website→College Tab→Senior To Dos→Scholarship Notebook.
· College Representative Visits in the CCC – If visit is during class please get teacher permission to attend. This is an opportunity to learn about your schools of interest and meet the admission counselors. View all visits and sign up to attend on NAVIANCE. Please bring your school ID.
o TODAY, 12/11 – US Air National Guard – Cyberspace Program at 12:26pm (PM Office Hours). Learn about Careers in the field of Cyberspace & the education benefit, offering tuition fee waiver/Cal Grants to UCs and Cal States.
Test Prep Resources are listed on the MCHS website→College Tab→Testing or use the link: http://www.miracostahigh.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=349909&type=d&pREC_ID=759631