MIRA COSTA HIGH
“Mira Costa is a community of learners where each member
has the opportunity to achieve academic, creative,
personal, and social excellence.”
Friday, December 13, 2019 Regular Schedule
TODAY 12/13 – Ugliest Ugly Sweater Sign-Ups at snack in the Mustang Mall, winners announced at lunch
MON 12/16 – Pajama Day/Late Start Schedule (see website); Faculty Meeting at 8 am; Winter Choral Concert This Shining Night at 7 pm in the Auditorium
TUE 12/17 – Periods 1 & 2 Finals Schedule (see website)
WED 12/18 – Periods 3 & 4 Finals Schedule (see website)
THU 12/19 – Periods 5 & 6 Finals Schedule (see website); Principal’s Tour at 9 am in the Admin Office
FRI 12/20 – Minimum Day Schedule/End of 1st Semester
MON 12/23 – FRI 1/3 – Winter Recess, No School
· Introducing the 9x12 Art Fund Candle Collection created by Costa students Cora Uchida, Kyle Sokol and Kennedy Stiles. Order yours by 12/18 for holiday delivery at www.andersonlilley.com/9x12candles.
· The GRAMMY Award winning Mira Costa Jazz program is now recruiting for Jazz 2, our Spring Semester after-school jazz band. Jazz 2 offers a semester of arts credit along with the opportunity to learn to play in the jazz style and the foundations of jazz improvisation. There are openings for guitar, bass, piano and drums along with saxophone, trumpet and trombone. An interest meeting will be held in Room 4 on Monday Dec. 16 at lunch.
· Italy 2020: Mandatory meeting for all students going on the Italy trip with Mr. Piorek TODAY at lunch in Room 25.
· Reminder: Please come check the Lost & Found (by the Attendance Office) for any lost items. All items not claimed by 12/20/19 will be donated.
· Costachella is April 1, 2020! The Costachella Committee is looking for student bands and artists to perform during the event. Interested? Email firstname.lastname@example.org for details!
· Crew Packets are available in Room 104 (shop) for Drama/Tech’s Spring Musical production of Into the Woods. Packets are due to Mr. Jordahl by 12:30 pm on 12/20.
· Audition packets and vocal sides are available in Room 1 for Drama/Tech’s Spring Musical production of Into the Woods. Packets are due to Mr. Westerberg (Room 1) by 12:30 pm on 12/20.
· HEART Club continues week 2 of the Dare to Be Kind Challenge. Great time to earn more tickets from your teachers and Costa staff!
· Last Day! The last Art Show of the semester is now open in the Gallery. Come see the work of the fall Printmaking class in Room 60 TODAY.
· Link Leaders: Please make sure to update your contribution logs in Ms. Hutchinson’s room BEFORE break! All semester 1 points must be approved before the end of the semester. Come during snack, lunch, or office hours to update.
CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS
· HEART Club meeting TODAY, Dec. 13, at lunch in Room 56.
· If your club is participating in Club Day on January 22, 2020, your club food and/or beverage assignment is posted on the bulletin board outside the ASB Room. Thank you!
· Please help those who don’t have enough to eat this holiday season by donating food to the Los Angeles Regional Food Bank. There is a box in the Costa main lobby for your non-perishable food donations. For monetary donations, please go to the South Bay Food Initiative website. Thank you!
COLLEGE AND CAREER CENTER
· Schedule a one-on-one appointment with one of our credentialed college counselors. Call 310-318-7337 ext. 5253 or email email@example.com to schedule your appointment.
· PSAT Results – If you took the PSAT in October, College Board is releasing results on their Website. College Board listed Dec. 10 as the score release date for the state of California. When your PSAT/NMSQT scores are ready online, you’ll get an email with instructions on creating your College Board account if you don’t already have one, going to your online score report, and using your access code to view your scores. The link for the College Board Webpage is:
https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/psat-nmsqt-psat-10/scores/getting-scores. If you have trouble accessing your results, College Board provided Mira Costa with a paper copy you can pick-up in the CCC along with your test booklet.
· Juniors Boys – American Legion’s Boys State Program is seeking applicants This is a participatory program in which students become part of the operation of local, county and state government. If selected, students attend the week-long program at Sacramento State University beginning on June 20, 2020. For more information go to: https://www.legion.org/boysnation/about. If you are interested in being considered for the Boys State program, please stop by the CCC to pick up an application. Applications are due in the CCC by: Friday, January 31.
· SENIORS – MCHS Scholarship Notebook Program: The scholarship notebook is a personal profile that will be read by members of community scholarship committees. Each scholarship committee creates their own criteria for selection and carefully screens the applicants to find the appropriate candidates for their scholarships. The scholarship donors are looking for students who may meet ANY of the following criteria: financial need, plan to attend a two- or four-year school or trade school, have completed numerous volunteer hours, plan to study a particular major (i.e. Art, Dance, Business, Education, Language), deserve a merit award for excellent grades, meet any number of additional criteria! *To be eligible to apply, students must attend ONE of the following five information meetings in the CCC: Jan. 8 (PM Office Hours), or Jan. 9, 14, 16, and 23 during lunch. It is mandatory for students to sign up on Naviance prior to the meeting to attend. Please bring your school ID to scan in and $5 to purchase the notebooks.
NOTE: We are confirming donors for the class of 2020 Scholarships. If you’d like to view specific scholarships and the criteria used to select recipients, last year's scholarship chart can be found on the MCHS Website→College Tab→Senior To Dos→Scholarship Notebook.
Test Prep Resources are listed on the MCHS website→College Tab→Testing or use the link: http://www.miracostahigh.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=349909&type=d&pREC_ID=759631