MIRA COSTA HIGH
“Mira Costa is a community of learners where each member
has the opportunity to achieve academic, creative,
personal, and social excellence.”
Tuesday, January 7, 2020 Regular Schedule
WED 1/8 – FRI 1/10 – QTR Dodgeball Tournament Sign-Ups
WED 1/8 – Office Hours Schedule; Coffee with the Principal at 7:30am in the Admin Office; PTSA Meeting at 7pm in the Small Theater
THU 1/9 – PTSA Executive Board Meeting at 11:30am in the GOCR; Mandatory Poetry Out Loud participant meeting at lunch in Room 44
FRI 1/10 – Orchestra Rotary Solo Competition Prelims – Strings from 4 – 7pm in the Small Theater
SAT 1/11 – 2nd Quarter/1st Semester Grades Visible in Aeries; Rugby 2nd Annual Pancake Breakfast Fundraiser from 8 to 10 am at the Waller Stadium Snack Stand followed by Mustangs vs. Torrey Pines match at 10am
MON 1/13 – Girls’ Lacrosse Tryouts from 4:30 to 7 pm at Waller Stadium
TUE 1/14 – TUE 1/21 – QTR Dodgeball Tournament at lunch on the Tennis Courts
TUE 1/14 – Club Council Meeting in Room 41 at lunch
WED 1/15 – Office Hours Schedule; Donut Day during AM Office Hours; Choir Board Meeting at 7 pm; Poetry Out Loud Competition during PM Office Hours in the Small Theater; Girls’ Lacrosse Tryouts from 4:30 to 7 pm at Waller Stadium
THU 1/16 – Principal’s Tour at 9 am in the Admin Office; Vision & Hearing Screening in the Library; NHS Full Chapter Meeting at lunch in the Auditorium
FRI 1/17 – Comedy Sportz Match at 7 pm in the Small Theater
· Congrats to the winners of the Mustang Moments Challenge raffle for semester 1! Not only did all participants receive In N Out lunch, but the following individuals have won Target gift cards: Ansley Rowell, Olivia Stanley, Jack Crawford, Emily Ticktin, and Jack Dalton! Come to room 20 to claim your prize. Thanks to all who completed the Challenge; semester 2 submissions are due between March 27 and 30, so keep making those memories count!
· MANDATORY lunch meeting for Poetry Out Loud participants on Thursday, Jan. 9 in Room 44 to prepare for the upcoming competition on Wednesday, Jan. 15!
· Join us at the Mira Costa Rugby 2nd Annual Pancake Breakfast Fundraiser on Saturday, Jan. 11 from 8 to 10 am at the Waller Stadium Snack Stand. Tickets are $12 and can be purchased at the MBX website. The breakfast will be followed by the Mira Costa Mustangs vs. Torrey Pines H.S. rugby match, kick-off at 10 am.
· Girls’ Lacrosse Tryouts are Monday 1/13, Wednesday 1/15 and Wednesday 1/22 from 4:30 to 7 pm. Meet at the Stadium. Bring stick, goggles, mouth guard, running shoes and water.
CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS
· Thank you to everyone who donated food in November and December. We collected and donated over 500 pounds of food for those suffering from food insecurity in Los Angeles. We have food-sorting events set up at LA Food Bank for the next several months. Please go to the South Bay Food Initiative website for the link to sign up.
· Chess Club: The first Chess Tournament of the year starts on Thursday, Jan. 9 in Room 14. Sign-up sheets are posted around campus. All levels are welcome.
COLLEGE AND CAREER CENTER
· Schedule a one-on-one appointment with one of our credentialed college counselors. Call 310-318-7337 ext. 5253 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your appointment.
· SENIORS – MCHS Scholarship Notebook Program: The scholarship notebook is a personal profile that will be read by members of community scholarship committees. Each scholarship committee creates their own criteria for selection and carefully screens the applicants to find the appropriate candidates for their scholarships. The scholarship donors are looking for students who may meet ANY of the following criteria: financial need, plan to attend a two- or four-year school or trade school, have completed numerous volunteer hours, plan to study a particular major (i.e. Art, Dance, Business, Education, Language), deserve a merit award for excellent grades, meet any number of additional criteria! *To be eligible to apply, students must attend ONE of the following five information meetings in the CCC: Jan. 8 (PM Office Hours), or Jan. 9, 14, 16, and 23 during lunch. It is mandatory for students to sign up on Naviance prior to the meeting to attend. Please bring your school ID to scan in and $5 to purchase the notebooks.
NOTE: We are confirming donors for the class of 2020 Scholarships. If you’d like to view specific scholarships and the criteria used to select recipients, last year's scholarship chart can be found on the MCHS Website→College Tab→Senior To Dos→Scholarship Notebook.
Test Prep Resources are listed on the MCHS website→College Tab→Testing or use the link: http://www.miracostahigh.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=349909&type=d&pREC_ID=759631