MIRA COSTA HIGH
“Mira Costa is a community of learners where each member
has the opportunity to achieve academic, creative,
personal, and social excellence.”
Friday, January 10, 2020 Regular Schedule
WED 1/8 – FRI 1/10 – QTR Dodgeball Tournament Sign-Ups in the ASB Room
TODAY 1/10 – Orchestra Rotary Solo Competition Prelims – Strings from 4 – 7pm in the Small Theater
SAT 1/11 – 2nd Quarter/1st Semester Grades Visible in Aeries; Rugby 2nd Annual Pancake Breakfast Fundraiser from 8 to 10 am at the Waller Stadium Snack Stand followed by Mustangs vs. Torrey Pines match at 10am
MON 1/13 – Girls’ Lacrosse Tryouts from 4:30 to 7 pm at Waller Stadium
TUE 1/14 – TUE 1/21 – QTR Dodgeball Tournament at lunch on the Tennis Courts
TUE 1/14 – Club Council Meeting in Room 41 at lunch
WED 1/15 – Office Hours Schedule; Choir Board Meeting at 7 pm; Poetry Out Loud Competition during PM Office Hours in the Small Theater; Girls’ Lacrosse Tryouts from 4:30 to 7 pm at Waller Stadium; Note: Donut Day MOVED to new date 1/29
THU 1/16 – Principal’s Tour at 9 am in the Admin Office; Vision & Hearing Screening in the Library; NHS Full Chapter Meeting at lunch in the Auditorium
FRI 1/17 – Comedy Sportz Match at 7 pm in the Small Theater
· Please release the following students this week:
o TODAY 1/10 – Boys’ Soccer (All levels) at 1:00 pm
· Winter Formal tickets are on sale now at the ASB Student Store. Get your tickets to the Winter Ball 2020 now and enjoy Dinner, Dessert and Dancing at the Westdrift Hotel, 1400 Parkview Avenue, Manhattan Beach, CA on Sat., Feb 1, 2020 from 7 to 11 pm. All Mira Costa students and their guests are invited to attend. Purchase tickets during Nutrition/Lunch/Office hours at the ASB Student Store or purchase a ticket voucher to redeem for tickets at the ASB Webstore, https://mchswebstore.myschoolcentral.com. Prices go up 1/16, so buy now! See ticket forms (also available in the ASB Room and around campus) for prices and ticket sale dates:
o Mira Costa Students: https://4.files.edl.io/65bf/01/08/20/202207-16bc0cdd-a37c-4202-9ed2-960b25524d34.pdf.
o Mira Costa Student with Off Campus Guest: https://4.files.edl.io/3491/01/08/20/202207-a9543cf4-05b7-48dd-807c-c8c26ecd4ebc.pdf.
· Dodgeball Tournament sign-ups (last day!) are in the ASB Room TODAY, 1/10. Cost is $10 per team, six people per team.
· Join us at the Mira Costa Rugby 2nd Annual Pancake Breakfast Fundraiser this Saturday, Jan. 11 from 8 to 10 am at the Waller Stadium Snack Stand. Tickets are $12 and can be purchased at the MBX website. The breakfast will be followed by the Mira Costa Mustangs vs. Torrey Pines H.S. rugby match, kick-off at 10 am.
· Girls’ Beach Volleyball has tryouts on Jan. 27 and Jan. 29. Please pre-register on the Beach website.
· Dodgeball Tournament sign-ups (last day!) are in the ASB Room TODAY 1/10. Cost is $10 per team, six people per team.
· Girls’ Lacrosse Tryouts are Monday 1/13, Wednesday 1/15 and Wednesday 1/22 from 4:30 to 7 pm. Meet at the Stadium. Bring stick, goggles, mouth guard, running shoes and water.
· Senior Drivers: If you currently have a student parking permit, please note that there are a few spots in the student lot labeled “COMPACT.” These spots are assigned to staff and are not available to students. Students may only park in spots with NO number, letter, or word painted. Thank you.
CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS
· Are you a writer, poet, artist, photographer, musician, or filmmaker? Do you want your work PUBLISHED? Submit your work to PaperCut, the Mira Costa Literary and Art Magazine! Send submissions to email@example.com, or join us for weekly meetings on Mondays in Room 207!
· Thank you to everyone who donated food in November and December. We collected and donated over 500 pounds of food for those suffering from food insecurity in Los Angeles. We have food-sorting events set up at LA Food Bank for the next several months. Please go to the South Bay Food Initiative website for the link to sign up.
COLLEGE AND CAREER CENTER
· Schedule a one-on-one appointment with one of our credentialed college counselors. Call 310-318-7337 ext. 5253 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your appointment.
· College Representative Visits in the CCC – If visit is during class please get teacher permission to attend. This is an opportunity to learn about your schools of interest and meet the admission counselors. View all visits and sign up to attend on NAVIANCE. Please bring your school ID.
o Wednesday 1/15 – El Camino College from 9:27am (AM Office Hours) – 12pm in the LIBRARY. Application workshop during office hours, followed by an open information session.
· SENIORS – MCHS Scholarship Notebook Program: The scholarship notebook is a personal profile that will be read by members of community scholarship committees. Each scholarship committee creates their own criteria for selection and carefully screens the applicants to find the appropriate candidates for their scholarships. The scholarship donors are looking for students who may meet ANY of the following criteria: financial need, plan to attend a two- or four-year school or trade school, have completed numerous volunteer hours, plan to study a particular major (i.e. Art, Dance, Business, Education, Language), deserve a merit award for excellent grades, meet any number of additional criteria! For students to be eligible to apply, students must attend ONE of the remaining information meetings in the CCC: Jan. 14, 16, and 23 during lunch. It is mandatory for students to sign up on Naviance prior to the meeting to attend. Please bring your school ID to scan in and $5 to purchase the notebooks.
NOTE: We are confirming donors for the class of 2020 Scholarships. If you’d like to view specific scholarships and the criteria used to select recipients, last year's scholarship chart can be found on the MCHS Website→College Tab→Senior To Dos→Scholarship Notebook.
Test Prep Resources are listed on the MCHS website→College Tab→Testing or use the link: http://www.miracostahigh.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=349909&type=d&pREC_ID=759631