MIRA COSTA HIGH
“Mira Costa is a community of learners where each member
has the opportunity to achieve academic, creative,
personal, and social excellence.”
Monday, January 13, 2020 Regular Schedule
TODAY 1/13 – Girls’ Lacrosse Tryouts from 4:30 to 7 pm at Waller Stadium
TUE 1/14 – TUE 1/21 – QTR Dodgeball Tournament at lunch on the Tennis Courts
TUE 1/14 – Club Council Meeting in Room 41 at lunch; Badminton Tryouts from 5 to 7pm at MB Badminton Club
WED 1/15 – Office Hours Schedule; Choir Board Meeting at 7 pm; Poetry Out Loud Competition during PM Office Hours in the Small Theater; Girls’ Lacrosse Tryouts from 4:30 to 7 pm at Waller Stadium; Note: Donut Day MOVED to new date 1/29
THU 1/16 – Principal’s Tour at 9 am in the Admin Office; Vision & Hearing Screening in the Library; NHS Full Chapter Meeting at lunch in the Auditorium; Badminton Tryouts from 5 to 7pm at MB Badminton Club
FRI 1/17 – Comedy Sportz Match at 7 pm in the Small Theater
· Winter Formal tickets are on sale now at the ASB Student Store. Get your tickets to the Winter Ball 2020 now and enjoy Dinner, Dessert and Dancing at the Westdrift Hotel, 1400 Parkview Avenue, Manhattan Beach, CA on Sat., Feb 1, 2020 from 7 to 11 pm. All Mira Costa students and their guests are invited to attend. Purchase tickets during Nutrition/Lunch/Office hours at the ASB Student Store or purchase a ticket voucher to redeem for tickets at the ASB Webstore, https://mchswebstore.myschoolcentral.com. Prices go up 1/16, so buy now! See ticket forms (also available in the ASB Room 40 and around campus) for prices and ticket sale dates:
o Mira Costa Students: https://4.files.edl.io/65bf/01/08/20/202207-16bc0cdd-a37c-4202-9ed2-960b25524d34.pdf.
o Mira Costa Student with Off Campus Guest: https://4.files.edl.io/3491/01/08/20/202207-a9543cf4-05b7-48dd-807c-c8c26ecd4ebc.pdf.
· Girls’ Beach Volleyball has tryouts on Jan. 27 and Jan. 29. Please pre-register on the Beach website.
· Girls’ Lacrosse Tryouts are Monday 1/13, Wednesday 1/15 and Wednesday 1/22 from 4:30 to 7 pm. Meet at the Stadium. Bring stick, goggles, mouth guard, running shoes and water.
· Badminton tryouts will be held this Tuesday, 1/14 and Thursday, 1/16 from 5 to 7 pm at the MB Badminton Club, 516 18th Street in Manhattan Beach. See Mr. McAvin in Room 101 for more information.
· Senior Drivers: If you currently have a student parking permit, please note that there are a few spots in the student lot labeled “COMPACT.” These spots are assigned to staff and are not available to students. Students may only park in spots with NO number, letter, or word painted. Thank you.
CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS
· Attention Girls! Girls Go Cyberstart is a free online program that teaches cybersecurity concepts through interactive games and challenges. No prior experience necessary, and you can compete individually or work with your friends. If you are interested in joining the Mira Costa Girls Go Cyberstart Team, please see Mrs. Weaver in Room 112.
· For important updates regarding semester 2 of Drama, come to Drama Club at lunch on Wednesday in Room 1!
· Do you LOVE to laugh? Do you love to make people laugh? If you answered yes to either of these questions, come to Improv Club in Room 1 Tuesday at lunch!
COLLEGE AND CAREER CENTER
· Schedule a one-on-one appointment with one of our credentialed college counselors. Call 310-318-7337 ext. 5253 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your appointment.
· College Representative Visits in the CCC – If visit is during class please get teacher permission to attend. This is an opportunity to learn about your schools of interest and meet the admission counselors. View all visits and sign up to attend on NAVIANCE. Please bring your school ID.
o Wednesday 1/15 – El Camino College from 9:27am (AM Office Hours) – 12pm in the LIBRARY. Application workshop during office hours, followed by an open information session.
· SENIORS – MCHS Scholarship Notebook Program: The scholarship notebook is a personal profile that will be read by members of community scholarship committees. Each scholarship committee creates their own criteria for selection and carefully screens the applicants to find the appropriate candidates for their scholarships. The scholarship donors are looking for students who may meet ANY of the following criteria: financial need, plan to attend a two- or four-year school or trade school, have completed numerous volunteer hours, plan to study a particular major (i.e. Art, Dance, Business, Education, Language), deserve a merit award for excellent grades, meet any number of additional criteria! For students to be eligible to apply, students must attend ONE of the remaining information meetings in the CCC: Jan. 14, 16, and 23 during lunch. It is mandatory for students to sign up on Naviance prior to the meeting to attend. Please bring your school ID to scan in and $5 to purchase the notebooks.
NOTE: We are confirming donors for the class of 2020 Scholarships. If you’d like to view specific scholarships and the criteria used to select recipients, last year's scholarship chart can be found on the MCHS Website→College Tab→Senior To Dos→Scholarship Notebook.
· Juniors Boys – American Legion’s Boys State Program is seeking applicants
American Legion Boys State is among the most respected and selective educational programs of government instruction for U.S. high-school students. It is a participatory program in which students become part of the operation of local, county and state government. If selected, students attend the week-long program at Sacramento State University beginning on June 20th, 2020. Operated by students elected to various offices, Boys State activities include legislative sessions, court proceedings, law-enforcement presentations, assemblies, bands, choruses and recreational programs. For more information click: HERE (https://www.legion.org/boysnation/about)
If you are interested in being considered for the Boys State program, please stop by the CCC to pick up an application. Applications are due in the CCC by: Friday, January 31.
Test Prep Resources are listed on the MCHS website→College Tab→Testing or use the link: http://www.miracostahigh.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=349909&type=d&pREC_ID=759631