MIRA COSTA HIGH
“Mira Costa is a community of learners where each member
has the opportunity to achieve academic, creative,
personal, and social excellence.”
Thursday, January 16, 2020 Regular Schedule
TUE 1/14 – TUE 1/21 – QTR Dodgeball Tournament at lunch on the Tennis Courts
TODAY 1/16 – Principal’s Tour at 9 am in the Admin Office; Vision & Hearing Screening in the Library; NHS Full Chapter Meeting at lunch in the Auditorium; Badminton Tryouts from 5 to 7pm at MB Badminton Club
FRI 1/17 – Comedy Sportz Match at 7 pm in the Small Theater
MON 1/20 – MLK Day, No School
TUE 1/21 – Late Start Schedule (see website for schedule); Faculty Meeting at 8 am; Off-Grounds Stickers available in the Admin Office starting today
WED 1/22 – Girls’ Lacrosse Tryouts from 4:30 to 7 pm at Waller Stadium
FRI 1/24 – Class Add/Drop Deadline
· Students who have excused periods (other than zero period): Spring semester off-grounds stickers will be available NEXT week starting Tuesday, 1/21, in the main office at snack, lunch, or after school ONLY. You MUST have a current school ID to get a sticker, and you must get a new sticker for the spring semester.
· Any students interested in a Spring Break Trip to South Africa in 2021, please see Mr. Chow in Room 47. Important meeting coming up; limited space available.
· The Neptunian Woman’s Club is sponsoring its 41st Student Art and Photography Contest for grades 9 -12. Deadline for submission to Ms. Gardner in the Admin Office is Friday, Feb. 28 before 3:00 pm. An awards ceremony will be held on Sunday, Mar. 15 at 1:00 pm in the Neptunian Clubhouse, Manhattan Beach. Applications are in the Admin Office or with any Art teacher. For further information or questions, please contact Ms. Teresa White at firstname.lastname@example.org.
· The majority of the Library will be closed all day TODAY for vision and hearing screenings. If a student needs to get a textbook, they may quietly enter the front lobby area and speak to the librarian, but there will be no access to the library books, computers, or tables that day.
· The Playa Vista Optimist Club is looking for entries for the Optimist International 2019-2020 Essay Contest. The local award for the winning essay is $200, plus a medallion. The winner will then advance to our District Contest, where the first-place winner will be awarded a $2,500 scholarship and a plaque, which is presented at a special District Awards luncheon. This is an excellent opportunity for your students to express themselves in a written essay. See your English teacher or the links at bottom of this online bulletin for rules and application forms.
· Dodgeball Tournament at lunch on the tennis courts TODAY, 1/17 and 1/21.
· Winter Formal tickets are on sale now at the ASB Student Store. Get your tickets to the Winter Ball 2020 now and enjoy Dinner, Dessert and Dancing at the Westdrift Hotel, 1400 Parkview Avenue, Manhattan Beach, CA on Sat., Feb 1, 2020 from 7 to 11 pm. All Mira Costa students and their guests are invited to attend. Purchase tickets during Nutrition/Lunch/Office hours at the ASB Student Store or purchase a ticket voucher to redeem for tickets at the ASB Webstore, https://mchswebstore.myschoolcentral.com. See ticket forms (also available in the ASB Room 40 and around campus) for prices and ticket sale dates:
o Mira Costa Students: https://4.files.edl.io/65bf/01/08/20/202207-16bc0cdd-a37c-4202-9ed2-960b25524d34.pdf.
o Mira Costa Student with Off Campus Guest: https://4.files.edl.io/3491/01/08/20/202207-a9543cf4-05b7-48dd-807c-c8c26ecd4ebc.pdf.
· Girls’ Beach Volleyball has tryouts on Jan. 27 and Jan. 29. Please pre-register on the Beach VB website, www.miracostabeachvolleyball.com.
· Badminton tryouts will be held TODAY from 5 to 7 pm at the MB Badminton Club, 516 18th Street in Manhattan Beach. See Mr. McAvin in Room 101 for more information.
CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS
· There is a Comedy Sportz Match this Friday at 7 pm in the Small Theater! Tickets are $5 at the door. If you love laughing…COME.
· Attention Girls! Girls Go Cyberstart is a free online program that teaches cybersecurity concepts through interactive games and challenges. No prior experience necessary, and you can compete individually or work with your friends. If you are interested in joining the Mira Costa Girls Go Cyberstart Team, please see Mrs. Weaver in Room 112.
· You did it! You finished your first semester of high school! Come get your donut on Donut Day to celebrate with your Link Leaders on Jan. 29 during AM Office Hours outside the Cafeteria. Meet your link leader at your designated group number. Forgot your group number? Check your @mbusdapps email!
COLLEGE AND CAREER CENTER
· Schedule a one-on-one appointment with one of our credentialed college counselors. Call 310-318-7337 ext. 5253 or email email@example.com to schedule your appointment.
o Mid-Year Reports: Some colleges require students to submit a mid-year report (transcript) of their first semester senior grades. If a college you have applied to requests your mid-year grades, please complete the form linked below and give it to your counselor (in-person*) by January 31!
*Your mid-year report will not be sent if you do not deliver the form to your counselor in person!
**Note: Not all colleges require a mid-year report or transcript. Please check with each college (check your portals and emails for midyear report requests) before submitting the Mid-Year Request to your counselor. If you are unsure if your colleges need a mid-year report, please stop by the CCC. https://www.miracostahigh.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=349757&type=d&pREC_ID=759392
o MCHS Scholarship Notebook Program: The scholarship notebook is a personal profile that will be read by members of community scholarship committees. Each scholarship committee creates their own criteria for selection and carefully screens the applicants to find the appropriate candidates for their scholarships. The scholarship donors are looking for students who may meet ANY of the following criteria: financial need, plan to attend a two- or four-year school or trade school, have completed numerous volunteer hours, plan to study a particular major (i.e. Art, Dance, Business, Education, Language), deserve a merit award for excellent grades, meet any number of additional criteria! For students to be eligible to apply, students must attend ONE of the remaining information meetings in the CCC: TODAY and Jan. 23 during lunch. It is mandatory for students to sign up on Naviance prior to the meeting to attend. Please bring your school ID to scan in and $5 to purchase the notebooks.
NOTE: We are confirming donors for the class of 2020 Scholarships. If you’d like to view specific scholarships and the criteria used to select recipients, last year's scholarship chart can be found on the MCHS Website→College Tab→Senior To Dos→Scholarship Notebook.
· Junior Boys – American Legion’s Boys State Program is seeking applicants
American Legion Boys State is among the most respected and selective educational programs of government instruction for U.S. high-school students. It is a participatory program in which students become part of the operation of local, county and state government. If selected, students attend the week-long program at Sacramento State University beginning on June 20, 2020. Operated by students elected to various offices, Boys State activities include legislative sessions, court proceedings, law-enforcement presentations, assemblies, bands, choruses and recreational programs. For more information, click HERE. (https://www.legion.org/boysnation/about) If you are interested in being considered for the Boys State program, please stop by the CCC to pick up an application. Applications are due in the CCC by Friday, Jan. 31.
· SoCal Roc will be here next week on Tuesday 1/21 during 3rd & 4th periods due to the holiday on Monday.
Test Prep Resources are listed on the MCHS website→College Tab→Testing or use the link: http://www.miracostahigh.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=349909&type=d&pREC_ID=759631