MIRA COSTA HIGH
“Mira Costa is a community of learners where each member
has the opportunity to achieve academic, creative,
personal, and social excellence.”
Thursday, January 23, 2020 Regular Schedule
TODAY 1/23 – Faculty CalSTRS/PERS lunch from 12 to 1 pm in the Faculty Lounge
FRI 1/24 – Class Add/Drop Deadline
SAT 1/25 – MC Festival Tour Choir, On-Campus Retreat from 8 am to 5 pm
MON 1/27 – FRI 1/31 – Art Week (installation of artwork in Room 60 all week): Monday, 1/27 – Button Making in Room 62 at lunch; Tuesday, 1/28 – AP Studio Art Info Session in Room 62 at lunch and Coterie & Muscle performances in Room 2 at lunch; Wednesday, 1/29 – Screen-printing in Room 62 during Office Hours and AP Art History Info Session in Room 109 at lunch; Thursday, 1/30 – Media Arts Open House in Room 108 at lunch, AP Music Theory Info Session in Room 51 at lunch and Movie Night in Room 109 at 5 pm; Friday, 1/31 – Art in the East Quad at lunch
MON 1/27 – Talent Show Dress Rehearsal at 3 pm in the Auditorium; Girls’ Beach Volleyball Tryouts (see below)
TUE 1/28 – MBX Summer School FAQ Night from 6:30 to 7:30 pm (location TBD)
WED 1/29 – Office Hours/2nd Period Drill Schedule; Freshmen Donut Day during AM Office Hours outside the Cafeteria; Girls’ Beach Volleyball Tryouts (see below)
THU 1/30 – Talent Show at 7 pm in the Auditorium
FRI 1/31 – Deadline to Request a Mid-Year Report from Counselor; Orchestra Rotary Solo Competition Finals from 5 pm to 8 pm in the Auditorium
SAT 2/1 – Progress Report Grades Visible in Aeries; Winter Formal at the Westdrift Hotel, 1400 Parkview Avenue, Manhattan Beach, CA from 7 to 11 pm
· Please release the following students this week: FRI 1/24 – Boys’ Soccer (All levels) at 1:00 pm
· Join National Life Group for a CalSTRS/PERS Lunch TODAY from 12 to 1 pm in the Faculty Lounge to learn about benefits and 403(b) retirement options. You will have an opportunity to set up an individual appointment, as well.
· The ASB Accountant will be out TODAY, 1/23 for training. The Student Store will be open during lunch ONLY for Dance Tickets ONLY. Students requesting transcripts may pay at the Registrar's Office. For other finance matters, report to the Finance Office on Friday, 1/24 for assistance.
· Students who have excused periods (other than zero period): Spring semester off-grounds stickers will be available this week in the main office at snack, lunch, or after school ONLY. You MUST have a current school ID to get a sticker, and you must get a new sticker for the spring semester.
· Freedom4U 2020 Annual Youth Photography Contest open to 11- to 18-year-olds in the South Bay/Harbor Areas. What will you create? Win cash prizes, certificates and merchandise, awarded by professional judges to 3 winners in these categories: Reflection, Find Your Voice, Nature, People, Teen Life, and Sports. Winning photos to be announced at a public reception on Feb. 28 at Paul’s Photo in Torrance. Winners will be notified via email. Enter at Freedomcommunity.com, $5 entry fee.
· Next week is Art Week! Come to Room 60 to see an installation of artwork all week from Monday, 1/27 to Friday, 1/31. See the CALENDAR section above for a list of daily activities that showcase Costa Arts.
· Winter Formal tickets are on sale now at the ASB Student Store. Get your tickets to the Winter Ball 2020 now and enjoy Dinner, Dessert and Dancing at the Westdrift Hotel, 1400 Parkview Avenue, Manhattan Beach, CA on Sat., Feb 1, 2020 from 7 to 11 pm. All Mira Costa students and their guests are invited to attend. Purchase tickets during Nutrition/Lunch/Office hours at the ASB Student Store or purchase a ticket voucher to redeem for tickets at the ASB Webstore, https://mchswebstore.myschoolcentral.com. See ticket forms (also available in the ASB Room 40 and around campus) for prices and ticket sale dates:
o Mira Costa Students: https://4.files.edl.io/65bf/01/08/20/202207-16bc0cdd-a37c-4202-9ed2-960b25524d34.pdf.
o Mira Costa Student with Off Campus Guest: https://4.files.edl.io/3491/01/08/20/202207-a9543cf4-05b7-48dd-807c-c8c26ecd4ebc.pdf.
· Girls’ Beach Volleyball has tryouts on Jan. 27 and Jan. 29. Please pre-register on the Beach VB website, www.miracostabeachvolleyball.com.
CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS
· Join Heart Club! We meet Fridays at lunch in Room 56. All are welcome.
· Auditions for the AIDS Benefit are Monday, 1/27 and Tuesday, 1/28. Come to the Drama Room 1 to sign up for a time slot!
· You did it! You finished your first semester of high school! Come get your donut on Donut Day to celebrate with your Link Leaders on Wednesday, Jan. 29 during AM Office Hours outside the Cafeteria. Meet your link leader at your designated group number. Forgot your group number? Check your @mbusdapps email!
COLLEGE AND CAREER CENTER
· Schedule a one-on-one appointment with one of our credentialed college counselors. Call 310-318-7337 ext. 5253 or email email@example.com to schedule your appointment.
· Sophomores and Juniors: PSAT Now What? – TODAY, 1/23 at 6:00pm in the CCC
The PSAT is a student’s first step in the standardized testing and college application process. When utilized properly, the PSAT can propel students on their journey to college. Learn how to interpret the PSAT score report, what your child’s PSAT scores indicate about their future SAT/ACT performance, how the National Merit Scholarship Competition works, and more. Please print out your student’s PSAT scores from collegeboard.org and bring them with you – or pick them up in the CCC if you haven’t already done so. Please sign up using this link: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0c4ca9a82aa4ff2-psat.
o Mid-Year Reports: Some colleges require students to submit a mid-year report (transcript) of their first semester senior grades. If a college you have applied to requests your mid-year grades, please complete the form linked below and give it to your counselor (in-person*) by January 31!
*Your mid-year report will not be sent if you do not deliver the form to your counselor in person!
**Note: Not all colleges require a mid-year report or transcript. Please check with each college (check your portals and emails for midyear report requests) before submitting the Mid-Year Request to your counselor. If you are unsure if your colleges need a mid-year report, please stop by the CCC. https://www.miracostahigh.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=349757&type=d&pREC_ID=759392
MCHS Scholarship Notebook Program: The scholarship notebook is a personal profile that will be read by members of community scholarship committees. Each scholarship committee creates their own criteria for selection and carefully screens the applicants to find the appropriate candidates for their scholarships. The scholarship donors are looking for students who may meet ANY of the following criteria: financial need, plan to attend a two- or four-year school or trade school, have completed numerous volunteer hours, plan to study a particular major (i.e. Art, Dance, Business, Education, Language), deserve a merit award for excellent grades, meet any number of additional criteria! For students to be eligible to apply, students must attend ONE of the remaining information meetings in the CCC: Final meeting – TODAY, 1/23 during lunch. It is mandatory for students to sign up on Naviance prior to the meeting to attend. Please bring your school ID to scan in and $5 to purchase the notebooks. NOTE: We are confirming donors for the class of 2020 Scholarships. If you’d like to view specific scholarships and the criteria used to select recipients, last year's scholarship chart can be found on the MCHS Website→College Tab→Senior To Dos→Scholarship Notebook.
· Juniors: BOEING SUMMER INTERNSHIP open to JUNIORS only (Class of 2021). Mira Costa High School Juniors have a unique opportunity to participate in a highly selective summer internship at Boeing. If you are interested in applying, it is mandatory that the student and a parent attend the information session on Wednesday, Feb. 12 at 5:30pm in the CCC. It is required that you sign up on Naviance.
Test Prep Resources are listed on the MCHS website→College Tab→Testing or use the link: http://www.miracostahigh.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=349909&type=d&pREC_ID=759631