MIRA COSTA HIGH
“Mira Costa is a community of learners where each member
has the opportunity to achieve academic, creative,
personal, and social excellence.”
Wednesday, January 29, 2020 Office Hours/2nd Period Drill Schedule
Period 0 7:00 - 7:55
Period 1 8:00 - 8:40
Period 2/Drill 8:46 - 9:51
AM Office Hours 9:51 - 10:36 (English, Social Science, VAPA, Foreign Language)
Period 3 10:42 - 11:22
Lunch 11:22 - 11:52
Period 4 11:58 - 12:38
PM Office Hours 12:38 - 1:23 (Math, Science SpEd, PE)
Period 5 1:29 - 2:09
Period 6 2:15 - 2:55
MON 1/27 – FRI 1/31 – Art Week (installation of artwork in Room 60 all week): TODAY, 1/27 – Button Making in Room 62 at lunch; Tuesday, 1/28 – AP Studio Art Info Session in Room 62 at lunch and Coterie & Muscle performances in Room 2 at lunch; Wednesday, 1/29 – Screen-printing in Room 62 during Office Hours and AP Art History Info Session in Room 109 at lunch; Thursday, 1/30 – Media Arts Open House in Room 108 at lunch, AP Music Theory Info Session in Room 51 at lunch and Movie Night in Room 109 at 5 pm; Friday, 1/31 – Art in the East Quad at lunch
TODAY 1/29 – Office Hours/2nd Period Drill Schedule; Freshmen Donut Day during AM Office Hours outside the Cafeteria; Girls’ Beach Volleyball Tryouts (see below)
THU 1/30 – Talent Show at 7 pm in the Auditorium
FRI 1/31 – Deadline to Request a Mid-Year Report from Counselor; Orchestra Rotary Solo Competition Finals from 5 pm to 8 pm in the Auditorium
SAT 2/1 – Progress Report Grades Visible in Aeries; Winter Formal at the Westdrift Hotel, 1400 Parkview Avenue, Manhattan Beach, CA from 7 to 11 pm
TUE 2/4 – 12th Grade Parent Meeting from 6 to 7 pm in the Auditorium; AIDS Benefit show at 7 pm in the Small Theater
WED 2/5 – Office Hours Schedule; Coffee with the Principal in the Admin Office at 7:30 am; National Letter of Intent Day/NCAA Signing Day #2, Winter at AM Office Hours in the Mustang Mall; Choir Booster Board Meeting at 7 pm
THU 2/6 – PTSA Exec Board Meeting from 11:30 am to 1 pm in the GOCR; 8th Grade Parent Breakout Sessions from 6 to 8 pm in the Math & Science Building; All District Orchestra Festival at 6:30 pm in the Auditorium
FRI 2/7 – Level-Down Deadline; ComedySportz Match at 7 pm in the Small Theater ($5 at door)
· Please release the following students this week:
o TODAY 1/29 – Link Crew at 9:35am for Donut Day
o THU 1/30 – Girls’ Water Polo (Varsity) at 1:20 pm; Girls’ Soccer (Varsity) at 1:45 pm
o FRI 1/31 – Girls’ Water Polo (Varsity), time TBA; Girls’ Soccer (Frosh/Soph) at 1:45 pm
· MCHS 7th Annual Black History Month Assembly – Teachers, bring your 2nd period classes to the Auditorium on Wednesday, Feb. 12 at 8:40 am for a voluntary assembly with special guest Byron Scott, formerly of the LA Lakers. Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org if you plan to bring your students.
· This week is Art Week! Come to Room 60 to see an installation of artwork all week. See the CALENDAR section above for a list of daily activities that showcase Costa Arts.
· California Scholarship Foundation (CSF) Membership Drive began Monday, Jan. 27 and continues through Feb. 7. Please check to see if you are eligible in Room 243 and pick up an application.
· Help the Homeless – Please consider donating to help the homeless through the Los Angeles Mission and Troop 4833: Clothes (tube socks, shirts, pants, diapers, shoes, pajamas, etc.) and toiletries (toothpaste/toothbrushes, wet wipes, shampoo/conditioner, brushes, etc.). Collection box in the Admin Office through February 14.
· Freedom4U 2020 Annual Youth Photography Contest open to 11- to 18-year-olds in the South Bay/Harbor Areas. What will you create? Win cash prizes, certificates and merchandise, awarded by professional judges to 3 winners in these categories: Reflection, Find Your Voice, Nature, People, Teen Life, and Sports. Winning photos to be announced at a public reception on Feb. 28 at Paul’s Photo in Torrance. Winners will be notified via email. Enter at Freedomcommunity.com, $5 entry fee.
· You did it! You finished your first semester of high school! Come get your donut TODAY, Donut Day, to celebrate with your Link Leaders during AM Office Hours outside the Cafeteria. Meet your link leader at your designated group number. Forgot your group number? Check your @mbusdapps email!
CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS
· We are starting a Marine Mammal Club to help save the Care Center in San Pedro from closing. If you are interested in helping rehab marine mammals found sick, stranded, or injured, please join us in Room 207 on Tuesday, 2/4 at lunch to help keep the care center open and get these mammals back to their ocean homes.
· Drama Club meets TODAY at lunch in Room 1!
· LEGO Club: Please join us LEGO enthusiasts on Fridays during lunch in Room 111.
· Come celebrate Chinese/Lunar New Years with the Asian American Club during lunch TODAY in Room 48! Everyone is welcomed!
· Thank you to all who donated food during our food drive. We were able to deliver over 500 pounds of food to local food banks and pantries. Our next volunteer event is on Saturday, Feb. 1 at the Los Angeles Regional Food Bank from 9 am to noon. We will be sorting food. No experience is necessary, and you will receive three hours of community service credit. For more information or to sign up, please go to the South Bay Food Initiative website at www.southbayfoodinitiative.com.
COLLEGE AND CAREER CENTER
· Schedule a one-on-one appointment with one of our credentialed college counselors. Call 310-318-7337 ext. 5253 or email email@example.com to schedule your appointment.
· College Representative Visits in the CCC – If visit is during class please get teacher permission to attend. This is an opportunity to learn about your schools of interest and meet the admission counselors. View all visits and sign up to attend on NAVIANCE. Please bring your school ID.
o TODAY, 1/29 – El Camino College: 9:51 – 10:40am Assessment Workshop; 10:45-11:20am and 12:00-1:30pm appointments (Sign-up in the CCC); 11:20am – 12:00pm drop-in questions.
Mid-Year Reports: Some colleges require students to submit a mid-year report (transcript) of their first semester senior grades. If a college you have applied to requests your mid-year grades, please complete the form linked below and give it to your counselor (in-person*) by January 31!
*Your mid-year report will not be sent if you do not deliver the form to your counselor in person!
**Note: Not all colleges require a mid-year report or transcript. Please check with each college (check your portals and emails for midyear report requests) before submitting the Mid-Year Request to your counselor. If you are unsure if your colleges need a mid-year report, please stop by the CCC. https://www.miracostahigh.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=349757&type=d&pREC_ID=759392
· Juniors: BOEING SUMMER INTERNSHIP open to JUNIORS only (Class of 2021). Mira Costa High School Juniors have a unique opportunity to participate in a highly selective summer internship at Boeing. If you are interested in applying, it is mandatory that the student and a parent attend the information session on Wednesday, Feb. 12 at 5:30pm in the CCC. It is required that you sign up on Naviance.
Test Prep Resources are listed on the MCHS website→College Tab→Testing or use the link: http://www.miracostahigh.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=349909&type=d&pREC_ID=759631