MIRA COSTA HIGH
“Mira Costa is a community of learners where each member
has the opportunity to achieve academic, creative,
personal, and social excellence.”
Monday, February 3, 2020 Regular Schedule
TUE 2/4 – 12th Grade Parent Meeting from 6 to 7 pm in the Auditorium; AIDS Benefit show at 7 pm in the Small Theater
WED 2/5 – Office Hours Schedule; Coffee with the Principal in the Admin Office at 7:30 am; National Letter of Intent Day/NCAA Signing Day #2, Winter at AM Office Hours in the Mustang Mall; Winter Blood Drive in the Cafeteria from 8 am to 2:09 pm Choir Booster Board Meeting at 7 pm
THU 2/6 – PTSA Exec Board Meeting from 11:30 am to 1 pm in the GOCR; 8th Grade Parent Breakout Sessions from 6 to 8 pm in the Math & Science Building; All District Orchestra Festival at 6:30 pm in the Auditorium
FRI 2/7 – Level-Down Deadline; ComedySportz Match at 7 pm in the Small Theater ($5 at door)
MON 2/10 – FRI 2/14 – H.E.A.R.T. and Link Crew Random Acts of Kindness Week
TUE 2/11 – 11th Grade Parent (Current) Meeting at 6 pm in the Small Theater; Families Connected Speaker Series: “How to Create a Community that Embraces Everyone” from 6:30 to 8 pm in the Auditorium
WED 2/12 – Office Hours Schedule; Val-Grams Deliveries; Black History Month Assembly at 8:40 am in the Auditorium (optional); STEM Night from 5 to 8 pm at MBMS; ComedySportz Match at 6 pm in the Small Theater
THU 2/13 – Principal’s Tour at 9 am in the Admin Office; NHS Full Chapter Meeting at lunch in the Small Theater; All District Band Concert at 7 pm in the Auditorium
MON 2/17 – 2/21 – Presidents’ Holiday Recess, No School
· MCHS 7th Annual Black History Month Assembly – Teachers, bring your 2nd period classes to the Auditorium on Wednesday, Feb. 12 at 8:40 am for a voluntary assembly with special guest Byron Scott, formerly of the LA Lakers. Please RSVP to email@example.com if you plan to bring your students.
· Want to travel to Athens and cruise the Greek islands during Spring Break 2021? Come learn all about this incredible adventure Thursday at lunch in Ms. Hutchinson’s Room 20.
· Wednesday, Feb. 5, is the second UCLA Blood Drive of the school year! Sign up with an ASB member now and save lives!
· California Scholarship Foundation (CSF) Membership Drive began Monday, Jan. 27 and continues through Feb. 7. Please check to see if you are eligible in Room 243 and pick up an application.
· Help the Homeless – Please consider donating to help the homeless through the Los Angeles Mission and Troop 4833: Clothes (tube socks, shirts, pants, diapers, shoes, pajamas, etc.) and toiletries (toothpaste/toothbrushes, wet wipes, shampoo/conditioner, brushes, etc.). Collection box in the Admin Office through February 14.
· Freedom4U 2020 Annual Youth Photography Contest open to 11- to 18-year-olds in the South Bay/Harbor Areas. What will you create? Win cash prizes, certificates and merchandise, awarded by professional judges to 3 winners in these categories: Reflection, Find Your Voice, Nature, People, Teen Life, and Sports. Winning photos to be announced at a public reception on Feb. 28 at Paul’s Photo in Torrance. Winners will be notified via email. Enter at Freedomcommunity.com, $5 entry fee.
· The Neptunian Woman’s Club is sponsoring its 41st Student Art and Photography Contest for grades 9 -12. Deadline for submission to Ms. Gardner in the Admin Office is Friday, Feb. 28 before 3:00 pm. An awards ceremony will be held on Sunday, Mar. 15 at 1:00 pm in the Neptunian Clubhouse, Manhattan Beach. Applications are in the Admin Office or with any Art teacher. For further information or questions, please contact Ms. Teresa White at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS
· Come to Music Production Club on Wednesdays during AM Office Hours in Room 51 to learn how to make/record your own songs. No experience needed! (Except the first week of the month.)
· Are you a writer, poet, photographer, musician, filmmaker, etc.? Do you want to have your work PUBLISHED? Submit your work to PaperCut, the Mira Costa Literary and Art Magazine. Email submissions to Papercutmiracosta@gmail.com or join us for weekly meetings, Mondays (TODAY) at lunch in Room 207!
· We are starting a Marine Mammal Club to help save the Care Center in San Pedro from closing. If you are interested in helping rehab marine mammals found sick, stranded, or injured, please join us in Room 207 on Tuesday, 2/4 at lunch to help keep the care center open and get these mammals back to their ocean homes.
COLLEGE AND CAREER CENTER
· Schedule a one-on-one appointment with one of our credentialed college counselors. Call 310-318-7337 ext. 5253 or email email@example.com to schedule your appointment.
· College Representative Visits in the CCC – If visit is during class please get teacher permission to attend. This is an opportunity to learn about your schools of interest and meet the admission counselors. View all visits and sign up to attend on NAVIANCE. Please bring your school ID.
- Wednesday, 2/5 – El Camino College 9:27am – 11:00am and 11:15am – 12:26pm appointments available (sign up in the CCC), 12:26pm(PM Office Hours) Orientation Workshop; Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) at 9:27am (AM Office Hours).
- Thursday, 2/6 – Where Be the Dragons Summer Travel Abroad, Gap Year Program Information Table outside CCC during lunch (12:20 – 12:50pm).
- Friday, 2/7 – Santa Monica College at 9:00am.
· JUNIOR GIRLS
American Legion Girls State is among the most respected and selective educational programs of government instruction for U.S. high-school students. It is a participatory program in which students become part of the operation of local, county and state government. If selected, students attend the week-long program on June 22. If you would like to be considered for this program, please bring a copy of your resume/brag sheet to the CCC by Friday, Feb. 14.
Test Prep Resources are listed on the MCHS website→College Tab→Testing or use the link: http://www.miracostahigh.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=349909&type=d&pREC_ID=759631