MIRA COSTA HIGH
“Mira Costa is a community of learners where each member
has the opportunity to achieve academic, creative,
personal, and social excellence.”
Tuesday, February 11, 2020 Regular Schedule
MON 2/10 – FRI 2/14 – H.E.A.R.T. and Link Crew Random Acts of Kindness Week: 2/10 Meme & Share-A-Meal Monday; 2/11 Teamwork & Teacher Tuesday; 2/12 Shine Bright & Writing Wednesday; 2/13 Dream of Kindness & Thankful Thursday; 2/14 Feel the Love Friday
TODAY 2/11 – 11th Grade Parent Meeting (current) at 6 pm in the Small Theater; Families Connected Speaker Series: “How to Create a Community that Embraces Everyone” from 6:30 to 8 pm in the Auditorium
WED 2/12 – Office Hours Schedule; Val-Grams Deliveries in the Mustang Mall; Black History Month Assembly at 8:40 am in the Auditorium (optional); STEM Night from 5 to 8 pm at MBMS Gym/MPR; ComedySportz Match at 6 pm in the Small Theater; Juniors & Seniors: Voter Registration in the CCC or Student Store at AM Office Hours
THU 2/13 – Principal’s Tour at 9 am in the Admin Office; NHS Full Chapter Meeting at lunch in the Small Theater; All District Band Concert at 7 pm in the Auditorium
FRI 2/14 – Last Day of Donation Drive for the LA Mission (see STUDENT INFO, below)
MON 2/17 – 2/21 – Presidents’ Holiday Recess, No School
TUE 2/25 – Freshman 4-Year Planning Meetings with the Counselors in the CCC (certain English classes); 10th Grade Parent Meeting (current) at 6 pm in the Small Theater
WED 2/26 – Office Hours/2nd Period Drill Schedule (see website)
· TEACHERS! MBUTA is hosting an ICE CREAM SOCIAL in Room 102 at lunch on Wednesday, 2/12! (We'll have other options if ice cream isn't for you.) Come mingle with your fellow association members and TREAT YOURSELF!
· MCHS 7th Annual Black History Month Assembly – Teachers, bring your 2nd period classes to the Auditorium this Wednesday, Feb. 12 at 8:40 am for a voluntary assembly with special guest Byron Scott, formerly of the LA Lakers. Please RSVP to email@example.com if you plan to bring your students.
· Friendship Club Valgrams available to purchase during lunch and AM & PM Office Hours in the Mustang Mall.
· Campus Beautification Day is Saturday, March 7 from 9 am to 1 pm. Come spruce up the Costa campus! Meet at Room 41 in the morning.
· Let’s sail the Greek islands during Spring Break 2021! Come to Ms. Hutchinson’s Room 20 TODAY to learn about this exciting adventure!
· The 2nd ANNUAL MIRA COSTA COMMUNITY STEM NIGHT will be held on WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 12, 5-8PM @ MBMS (Gym/MPR) STEM Night will feature exciting STEM interactive projects, expert talks and innovative demos hosted by leading companies and colleges as well as MBUSD classes and clubs. Exhibits and activities will include rocket models and drivable robots, biotech showcases, gaming and fitness tech, virtual/augmented reality demos, wearable technologies, math/engineering puzzles and challenges, media arts, and many, many others!
· Attention Juniors & Seniors! The League of Women Voters will be registering students to vote on Wednesday, Feb. 12 during AM Office Hours. Head to the CCC or ASB Student Store to register (bring a copy of your driver’s license or social security number).
· ComedySportz vs. TEACHERS! Wednesday, 2/12 at 6 pm in the Small Theater, $5 at the door! Come support your favorite teachers in the next ComedySportz Match.
· Help the Homeless – Please consider donating to help the homeless through the Los Angeles Mission and Troop 4833: Clothes (tube socks, shirts, pants, diapers, shoes, pajamas, etc.) and toiletries (toothpaste/toothbrushes, wet wipes, shampoo/conditioner, brushes, etc.). Collection box in the Admin Office through February 14.
· The Neptunian Woman’s Club is sponsoring its 41st Student Art and Photography Contest for grades 9 -12. Deadline for submission to Ms. Gardner in the Admin Office is Friday, Feb. 28 before 3:00 pm. An awards ceremony will be held on Sunday, Mar. 15 at 1:00 pm in the Neptunian Clubhouse, Manhattan Beach. Applications are in the Admin Office or with any Art teacher. For further information or questions, please contact Ms. Teresa White at firstname.lastname@example.org.
· SENIORS: You were sent a message on 2/7 asking you to click on a link to a form to fill out regarding the name you would like to use on your diploma. Please follow the link using your school MBUSDapps Gmail account if you would like the name printed on your diploma to be different than that listed in your Aeries account. The deadline to complete this form is March 16. If you have any questions, please contact the registrar, Dominique Sharp, in the Admin Office.
CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS
· Improv Club is TODAY at lunch in Room 1!
· Are you a writer, poet, photographer, musician, filmmaker, etc.? Do you want to have your work PUBLISHED? Submit your work to PaperCut, the Mira Costa Literary and Art Magazine. Email submissions to Papercutmiracosta@gmail.com or join us for weekly meetings, Mondays (TODAY) at lunch in Room 207!
· Come to Music Production Club on Wednesdays during AM Office Hours in Room 51 to learn how to make/record your own songs. No experience needed! (Except the first week of the month.)
COLLEGE AND CAREER CENTER
· Schedule a one-on-one appointment with one of our credentialed college counselors. Call 310-318-7337 ext. 5253 or email email@example.com to schedule your appointment.
· College Representative Visits in the CCC – If visit is during class please get teacher permission to attend. This is an opportunity to learn about your schools of interest and meet the admission counselors. View all visits and sign up to attend on NAVIANCE. Please bring your school ID.
o Wednesday, 2/12 – El Camino College at 9:27am – 1:30pm, appointments available – sign up in the CCC. Drop-ins welcome during lunch (11:10 – 11:40am). Boeing Internship Meeting mandatory for interested JUNIORS. The student and one parent must attend. Sign-up on Naviance is required. Meeting will be held at 5:30pm in the CCC.
· JUNIOR GIRLS
American Legion Girls State is among the most respected and selective educational programs of government instruction for U.S. high-school students. It is a participatory program in which students become part of the operation of local, county and state government. If selected, students attend the week-long program on June 22. If you would like to be considered for this program, please bring a copy of your resume/brag sheet to the CCC by Friday, Feb. 14.
Test Prep Resources are listed on the MCHS website→College Tab→Testing or use the link: http://www.miracostahigh.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=349909&type=d&pREC_ID=759631