MIRA COSTA HIGH
“Mira Costa is a community of learners where each member
has the opportunity to achieve academic, creative,
personal, and social excellence.”
Thursday, February 13, 2020 Regular Schedule
MON 2/10 – FRI 2/14 – H.E.A.R.T. and Link Crew Random Acts of Kindness Week: 2/10 Meme & Share-A-Meal Monday; 2/11 Teamwork & Teacher Tuesday; 2/12 Shine Bright & Writing Wednesday; 2/13 Dream of Kindness & Thankful Thursday; 2/14 Feel the Love Friday
TODAY 2/13 – Principal’s Tour at 9 am in the Admin Office; NHS Full Chapter Meeting at lunch in the Small Theater; All District Band Concert at 6:30 PM (NEW TIME) in the Auditorium
FRI 2/14 – Last Day of Donation Drive for the LA Mission (see STUDENT INFO, below)
MON 2/17 – 2/21 – Presidents’ Holiday Recess, No School
TUE 2/25 – Freshman 4-Year Planning Meetings with the Counselors in the CCC (certain English classes); 10th Grade Parent Meeting (current) at 6 pm in the Small Theater
WED 2/26 – Office Hours/2nd Period Drill Schedule (see website)
· Please release/excuse the following students this week: FRI 2/14 – Boys’ Wrestling (see emailed list) at 7 am for CIF Championships all day
· Come out TODAY to support and cheer on our teams on their championship roads…
Girls’ Basketball 1st Round Division 3AA Championships vs. Ribet Academy at Ribet Academy at 7:00 pm; Girls’ Soccer 1st Round Division 2 CIF Championships vs. West Ranch at Mira Costa at 3 pm
· Students enrolled in AP Human Geography, AP Microeconomics, or AP Government during Spring Semester should now pay their Exam Fees. You can pay online through the ASB Webstore anytime between NOW and Feb. 25. You can also pay in-person at the ASB Store on campus during Snack and Lunch between NOW and Feb. 25, or at the ASB Webstore, https://mchswebstore.myschoolcentral.com/.
Late Purchasing: From Wednesday, Feb. 26 and Thursday, Feb. 27, students may purchase spring-semester AP Human Geography, AP Microeconomics, or AP US Government Exams for an additional $15 per exam, totaling $114 each. For more details, see the announcement featured on the MCHS Website.
· Charles Yu, a ’90s grad from MCHS, will be speaking at Pages this Sunday, Feb. 16. He wants to give a free, signed copy of his book to any Costa student who stops by. See the link below for more information. https://www.pagesabookstore.com/event/author-charles-yu-visits-february-16th?fbclid=IwAR1R9gb4qB3N5a9yhoaaYNQsbqXAzuwQt5nVK90JLSaH_JkFSi1kaSK0z7Y
· CHAMBER ORCHESTRA PERFORMANCE AT STAPLES CENTER FOLLOWED BY ICE HOCKEY GAME! End Ski Week by supporting Costa Orchestra and attending the LA KINGS vs EDMONTON OILERS ice hockey game on Sunday, Feb. 23, 7 pm with a performance by Chamber Orchestra at Staples Center prior to the game at 5:15 pm! Tickets are $50 each and can be purchased online HERE or by clicking on link below. Please note we have a section/block reserved for all tickets purchased through this link, so all Costa students/families/friends will be seated together cheering the LA Kings! https://www.fevo.com/edp/Mira-Costa-High-School-Chamber-Orchestra--LA-Kings-vs-Edmonton-Oilers-wuiNd5cp
· Interested in exploring Athens, Mykonos, Santorini, and more? Come by Ms. Hutchinson’s Room 20 for information on Spring Break 2021 Greek Cruise.
· Campus Beautification Day is Saturday, March 7 from 9 am to 1 pm. Come spruce up the Costa campus! Meet at Room 41 in the morning.
· Help the Homeless – Please consider donating to help the homeless through the Los Angeles Mission and Troop 4833: Clothes (tube socks, shirts, pants, diapers, shoes, pajamas, etc.) and toiletries (toothpaste/toothbrushes, wet wipes, shampoo/conditioner, brushes, etc.). Collection box in the Admin Office through this Friday, Feb. 14.
· The Neptunian Woman’s Club is sponsoring its 41st Student Art and Photography Contest for grades 9 -12. Deadline for submission to Ms. Gardner in the Admin Office is Friday, Feb. 28 before 3:00 pm. An awards ceremony will be held on Sunday, Mar. 15 at 1:00 pm in the Neptunian Clubhouse, Manhattan Beach. Applications are in the Admin Office or with any Art teacher. For further information or questions, please contact Ms. Teresa White at email@example.com.
· SENIORS: You were sent a message on 2/7 asking you to click on a link to a form to fill out regarding the name you would like to use on your diploma. Please follow the link using your school MBUSDapps Gmail account if you would like the name printed on your diploma to be different than that listed in your Aeries account. The deadline to complete this form is March 16. If you have any questions, please contact the registrar, Dominique Sharp, in the Admin Office.
CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS
· The Marine Mammal Club is collecting donations in Room 207 as well as towels for the animals. The club meets on Tuesdays at lunch in Room 207; we hope you join us to help the San Pedro Marine Mammal Center!
· Are you a writer, poet, photographer, musician, filmmaker, etc.? Do you want to have your work PUBLISHED? Submit your work to PaperCut, the Mira Costa Literary and Art Magazine. Email submissions to Papercutmiracosta@gmail.com or join us for weekly meetings, Mondays at lunch in Room 207!
· Come to Music Production Club to learn how to make/record your own songs. No experience needed! Meets in Room 51 every Wednesday except for first week of the month.
COLLEGE AND CAREER CENTER
· Schedule a one-on-one appointment with one of our credentialed college counselors. Call 310-318-7337 ext. 5253 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your appointment.
· College Representative Visits in the CCC – If visit is during class please get teacher permission to attend. This is an opportunity to learn about your schools of interest and meet the admission counselors. View all visits and sign up to attend on NAVIANCE. Please bring your school ID.
- Monday, 2/24 – Rustic Pathways Gap Year and Study Abroad Program information table outside the CCC during lunch.
- Tuesday, 2/25 – University of Iowa at 12:20pm (lunch)
- Thursday, 2/27 – Hawaii Pacific University at 9:00am.
· JUNIOR GIRLS
American Legion Girls State is among the most respected and selective educational programs of government instruction for U.S. high-school students. It is a participatory program in which students become part of the operation of local, county and state government. If selected, students attend the week-long program on June 22. If you would like to be considered for this program, please bring a copy of your resume/brag sheet to the CCC by Friday, Feb. 14.
Test Prep Resources are listed on the MCHS website→College Tab→Testing or use the link: http://www.miracostahigh.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=349909&type=d&pREC_ID=759631