MIRA COSTA HIGH
“Mira Costa is a community of learners where each member
has the opportunity to achieve academic, creative,
personal, and social excellence.”
Tuesday, February 25, 2020 Regular Schedule
TODAY 2/25 – Deadline for purchasing spring-semester AP Human Geography, AP Microecon &/or AP Gov Exams at cost online at the Webstore or on campus at the Student Store (see below STUDENT INFO); Freshman 4-Year Planning Meetings with the Counselors in the CCC (certain English classes); 10th Grade Parent Meeting (current) at 6 pm in the Small Theater
WED 2/26 – THU 2/27 – Deadline for late purchasing AP Human Geography, AP Microecon &/or AP Gov Exams online (additional fee – see below STUDENT INFO)
WED 2/26 – Office Hours/2nd Period Drill Schedule (see website)
THU 2/27 – Freshman 4-Year Planning Meetings with the Counselors in the CCC (during certain English classes); All-District Choir Build-a-Bridge Concert from 6 to 8 pm in the Auditorium; Welsh National Rugby Team visits/practices on the West Field at 4:30 pm
FRI 2/28 – Freshman 4-Year Planning Meetings with the Counselors in the CCC (during certain English classes)
MON 3/2 – Freshman 4-Year Planning Meetings with the Counselors in the CCC (during certain English classes); Physical Fitness Testing (see website for schedule)
TUE 3/3 – PTA Council Meeting at 8:30 am to 1 pm in the Small Theater; Freshman 4-Year Planning Meetings with the Counselors in the CCC (during certain English classes); Physical Fitness Testing (see website for schedule); 9th Grade Parent Meeting (current) 6 to 7 pm in the Auditorium
WED 3/4 – Office Hours Schedule; Coffee with the Principal at 7:30 am in the Admin Office; Physical Fitness Testing (see website for schedule)
THU 3/5 – PTSA Meeting at 11:30 am to 1 pm in the GOCR; Freshman 4-Year Planning Meetings with the Counselors in the CCC (during certain English classes); Physical Fitness Testing (see website for schedule)
FRI 3/6 –Freshman 4-Year Planning Meetings with the Counselors in the CCC (during certain English classes); Physical Fitness Testing (see website for schedule); Scheduling Screencast Goes Live; ComedySportz Match at 7 pm in the Small Theater
SAT 3/7 – Campus Beautification Sponsored by PTSA and Student Government from 9 am to 1 pm, meet at Room 41 in the morning
· Please release the following students this week: THU 2/27 – Girls’ Lacrosse (Varsity/JV) at 12:21pm
· Student of the Year nominee votes are due to Mr. Beaumont by Friday, 2/28 at 3 pm. Snail mail or email OK. Thank you.
· Anyone interested in a Safari in South Africa during Spring Break 2021, please come to an informational meeting in Mr. Chow’s Room 47 during lunch on Friday, 2/28.
· Greek Cruise 2021 informational meeting TODAY at lunch in Room 20. Bring your friends!
· This weekend the World Rugby 7’s arrives in Los Angeles. This tournament represents the 16 best countries in the world. Mira Costa High School is honored to host a visit from the National Team of Wales on Thursday, Feb. 27 at 4:30 pm on the West Field (Meadows Street access) at MCHS. Please pass the info along to family and friends to watch the Welsh team practice for the upcoming HSBC games scheduled for this weekend.
· Students: Do NOT park your bicycles or skateboards on handicap access ramps. Use the bike racks only for this purpose. Bike racks are located throughout the school, including by the Admin parking lot, near the softball field, near the Auditorium, and near the History Building. We want our campus to be a welcoming and accessible place for all. Security will be standing by the access ramps. Students seen parking bikes or skateboards on the ramps will receive disciplinary consequences.
· Students enrolled in AP Human Geography, AP Microeconomics, or AP Government during Spring Semester should now pay their Exam Fees. TODAY is the last day for regular pricing. You can pay online through the ASB Webstore, https://mchswebstore.myschoolcentral.com/. You can also pay in person at the ASB Store on campus during Snack and Lunch TODAY.
Late Purchasing: Wednesday, Feb. 26 and Thursday, Feb. 27, students may purchase spring-semester AP Human Geography, AP Microeconomics, or AP US Government Exams for an additional $15 per exam, totaling $114 each. For more details, see the announcement featured on the MCHS Website.
· Campus Beautification Day is Saturday, March 7 from 9 am to 1 pm. Come spruce up the Costa campus! Meet at Room 41 in the morning.
· The Neptunian Woman’s Club is sponsoring its 41st Student Art and Photography Contest for grades 9 -12. Deadline for submission to Ms. Gardner in the Admin Office is Friday, Feb. 28 before 3:00 pm. An awards ceremony will be held on Sunday, Mar. 15 at 1:00 pm in the Neptunian Clubhouse, Manhattan Beach. Applications are in the Admin Office or with any Art teacher. For more info, contact Teresa White at firstname.lastname@example.org.
· SENIORS: You were sent a message on 2/7 asking you to click on a link to a form to fill out regarding the name you would like to use on your diploma. Please follow the link using your school MBUSDapps Gmail account if you would like the name printed on your diploma to be different than that listed in your Aeries account. Deadline to complete this form is Mar. 16. For questions, please contact the Registrar, Dominique Sharp, in the Admin Office.
CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS
· Thank you to all our volunteers! We have donated over 2,500 volunteer hours to local food banks and soup kitchens. Our next volunteer event is on Saturday, Feb. 29 at the Los Angeles Regional Food Bank from 9 am to noon. We will be sorting food. No experience is necessary, and you will receive three hours of community service credit. For more information or to sign up, please go to the South Bay Food Initiative website: www.southbayfoodinitiative.com.
COLLEGE AND CAREER CENTER
· Schedule a one-on-one appointment with one of our credentialed college counselors. Call 310-318-7337 ext. 5253 or email email@example.com to schedule your appointment.
· College Representative Visits in the CCC – If visit is during class please get teacher permission to attend. This is an opportunity to learn about your schools of interest and meet the admission counselors. View all visits and sign up to attend on NAVIANCE. Please bring your school ID.
- TODAY, 2/25 – University of Iowa at 12:20pm (lunch)
- Wednesday, 2/26 – El Camino College 9:51am – 11:15am and 12:00pm – 1:30pm, sign up for appointments in the CCC, Lunchtime Drop-ins welcome from 11:20 – 11:50am.
- Thursday, 2/27 – Hawaii Pacific University at 9:00am.
· SoCal Roc Open House
Today, Feb. 25 at 1:30 – 6:30pm. See their classes in action! Join us in the Board Room for a guided tour. SoCal Roc – 2300 Crenshaw Blvd., Torrance, 90501.