MIRA COSTA HIGH
“Mira Costa is a community of learners where each member
has the opportunity to achieve academic, creative,
personal, and social excellence.”
Thursday, February 27, 2020 Regular Schedule
TODAY 2/27 – FRI 2/28 – NEW Deadline for late purchasing AP Human Geography, AP Microecon &/or AP Gov Exams online (additional fee – see below STUDENT INFO)
TODAY 2/27 – Freshman 4-Year Planning Meetings with the Counselors in the CCC (during certain English classes); All-District Choir Build-a-Bridge Concert from 6 to 8 pm in the Auditorium; Welsh National Rugby Team visits/practices on the West Field at 3 pm (NEW TIME)
FRI 2/28 – Freshman 4-Year Planning Meetings with the Counselors in the CCC (during certain English classes)
MON 3/2 – Freshman 4-Year Planning Meetings with the Counselors in the CCC (during certain English classes); Physical Fitness Testing (attached schedule)
TUE 3/3 – PTA Council Meeting at 8:30 am to 1 pm in the Small Theater; Freshman 4-Year Planning Meetings with the Counselors in the CCC (during certain English classes); Physical Fitness Testing (attached schedule); 9th Grade Parent Meeting (current) 6 to 7 pm in the Auditorium
WED 3/4 – Office Hours Schedule; Coffee with the Principal at 7:30 am in the Admin Office; Physical Fitness Testing (attached schedule)
THU 3/5 – PTSA Meeting at 11:30 am to 1 pm in the GOCR; Freshman 4-Year Planning Meetings with the Counselors in the CCC (during certain English classes); Physical Fitness Testing (attached schedule)
FRI 3/6 –Freshman 4-Year Planning Meetings with the Counselors in the CCC (during certain English classes); Physical Fitness Testing (attached schedule); Scheduling Screencast Goes Live; ComedySportz Match at 7 pm in the Small Theater
SAT 3/7 – Campus Beautification Sponsored by PTSA and ASB from 9 am to 1 pm, meet at Room 41 in the morning
· Please release the following students this week:
o TODAY 2/27 – Girls’ Lacrosse (Varsity/JV) at 12:21pm (see emailed list of names)
o FRI 2/28 – Baseball (F/S) at 12:45 pm; Baseball (Varsity) at 1:45 pm; Boys’ Lacrosse (JV/V) at 1:00 pm
· Student of the Year nominee votes are due to Mr. Beaumont by Friday, 2/28 at 3 pm. Snail mail or email OK.
· Interested in traveling to Greece and cruising through the Greek Islands during Spring Break 2021? Parent information meeting TONIGHT at 7 pm in Room 20. All interested students, with parents, are invited!
· The Marine Mammal Care Center cares for seals, sea lions, and other marine animals in desperate need of help, and now the MMCC needs our help! In part of their effort to raise money, California Pizza Kitchen is holding a fundraiser TODAY, Feb. 27, and 20% of your purchase goes to the MMCC!
· Physical Fitness testing for all 9th graders takes place from March 2 through March 13. Please see the *below/attached schedule. For questions, email Ms. Anderson at email@example.com.
· Anyone interested in a Safari in South Africa during Spring Break 2021, please come to an informational meeting in Mr. Chow’s Room 47 during lunch on Friday, 2/28.
· This weekend the World Rugby 7’s arrives in Los Angeles. This tournament represents the 16 best countries in the world. Mira Costa High School is honored to host a visit from the National Team of Wales TODAY, Feb. 27 at 3 pm (NEW TIME) on the West Field (Meadows Street access) at MCHS. Please pass the info along to family and friends to watch the Welsh team practice for the upcoming HSBC games scheduled for this weekend.
· Students: Do NOT park your bicycles or skateboards on handicap access ramps. Use the bike racks only for this purpose. Bike racks are located throughout the school, including by the Admin parking lot, near the softball field, near the Auditorium, and near the History Building. We want our campus to be a welcoming and accessible place for all. Security will be standing by the access ramps. Students seen parking bikes or skateboards on the ramps will receive disciplinary consequences.
· Students enrolled in AP Human Geography, AP Microeconomics, or AP Government during Spring Semester should now pay their Exam Fees. Timeframe for regular pricing has passed. TODAY, Feb. 27 and Friday, Feb. 28, students may purchase spring-semester APHG, APMicro, AP Gov Exams for an additional $15 per exam, totaling $114 each. For more details, see the announcement featured on the MCHS Website. You can pay online through the ASB Webstore, https://mchswebstore.myschoolcentral.com/ or in person at the ASB Store on campus during Snack and Lunch TODAY.
· Campus Beautification Day is Saturday, March 7 from 9 am to 1 pm. Come spruce up the Costa campus! Meet at Room 41 in the morning.
· The Neptunian Woman’s Club is sponsoring its 41st Student Art and Photography Contest for grades 9 -12. Deadline for submission to Ms. Gardner in the Admin Office is TOMORROW, Friday, Feb. 28 before 3:00 pm. An awards ceremony will be held on Sunday, Mar. 15 at 1:00 pm in the Neptunian Clubhouse, Manhattan Beach. Applications are in the Admin Office or with any Art teacher. For more info, contact Teresa White at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS
· The Marine Mammal Care Center is the only center that cares for marine animals for a 70-mile stretch of land, and they’re in danger of closing! If you’d like to help, Room 207 is accepting donations – also talk to your teachers about donation boxes in their classrooms!
· LEGO Club: Hello, LEGO enthusiast! Come join us this Friday, Feb. 28 at lunch in Room 111. See you soon!
· Save the Date! On Mar. 7, the Soroptimist Manhattan Beach organization is launching the annual Dream It, Be It event – a career support workshop to help girls grow to be strong, successful, happy adults. Register TODAY at https://www.simanhattanbeach.org/.
· Are you a writer, poet, musician, artist, filmmaker, etc.? Do you want to be PUBLISHED?! Submit your work to Papercut, Mira Costa’s Literary and Art Magazine! Email submissions to email@example.com, and/or join us for weekly meetings Mondays at lunch in Room 207!
· Thank you to all our volunteers! We have donated over 2,500 volunteer hours to local food banks and soup kitchens. Our next volunteer event is on Saturday, Feb. 29 at the Los Angeles Regional Food Bank from 9 am to noon. We will be sorting food. No experience is necessary, and you will receive three hours of community service credit. For more information or to sign up, please go to the South Bay Food Initiative website: www.southbayfoodinitiative.com.
COLLEGE AND CAREER CENTER
· Schedule a one-on-one appointment with one of our credentialed college counselors. Call 310-318-7337 ext. 5253 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your appointment.
· College Representative Visits in the CCC – If visit is during class please get teacher permission to attend. This is an opportunity to learn about your schools of interest and meet the admission counselors. View all visits and sign up to attend on NAVIANCE. Please bring your school ID.
- Thursday, 2/27 – Hawaii Pacific University at 9:00am.