MIRA COSTA HIGH
“Mira Costa is a community of learners where each member
has the opportunity to achieve academic, creative,
personal, and social excellence.”
Tuesday, March 3, 2020 Regular Schedule
TODAY 3/3 – Scholar Quiz Team Registration opens at 6 am (see Student Info); PTA Council Meeting at 8:30 am to 1 pm in the Small Theater; Freshman 4-Year Planning Meetings with the Counselors in the CCC (during certain English classes); Physical Fitness Testing (attached schedule); 9th Grade Parent Meeting (current) 6 to 7 pm in the Auditorium
WED 3/4 – Office Hours Schedule; Coffee with the Principal at 7:30 am in the Admin Office; Physical Fitness Testing (attached schedule); Club Day at lunch in the Mustang Mall
THU 3/5 – PTSA Meeting at 11:30 am to 1 pm in the GOCR; Freshman 4-Year Planning Meetings with the Counselors in the CCC (during certain English classes); Physical Fitness Testing (attached schedule)
FRI 3/6 –Freshman 4-Year Planning Meetings with the Counselors in the CCC (during certain English classes); Physical Fitness Testing (attached schedule); Scheduling Screencast Goes Live; ComedySportz Match at 7 pm in the Small Theater
SAT 3/7 – Campus Beautification Sponsored by PTSA and ASB from 9 am to 1 pm, meet at Room 41 in the morning; Soroptimist Manhattan Beach “Dream It, Be It” Workshop – register at https://www.simanhattanbeach.org/.
MON 3/9 – Physical Fitness Testing (attached schedule)
TUE 3/10 – Friday 3/13 – Scholar Quiz; Physical Fitness Testing (attached schedule)
WED 3/11 – Office Hours Schedule; Families Connected Speaker Series: “Vaping in 2020: what parents Need to Know” from 6:30 to 8 pm in the RUHS Auditorium
THU 3/12 – Families Connected Speaker Series: “Vaping in 2020: What Parents Need to Know” from 6:30 to 8 pm in the RUHS Auditorium
· Please release the following students this week:
o TODAY 3/3 – Baseball (JV/FS) at 12:30 pm; Girls’ Soccer (Varsity) at 12:30 pm; Girls’ Lacrosse at 1:05pm
o WED 3/4 – Boys’ Volleyball (all levels) at 1:30 pm
o FRI 3/6 – Boys’ Volleyball (Varsity) at 10:30 am; Boys’ Tennis (see emailed list) all day
· Attention Seniors! The time you’ve been waiting for has arrived! Applications to audition to speak at Graduation are now available! Please see Ms. Howerton in Room 16 to pick up an application.
· Juniors – Stressed just thinking about College Apps? There is a new Summer School opportunity, CAP – a college application prep class coached by Ms. Vaughan. Two sessions are available. Check out the MBX website if you want to finish your apps this summer and start your senior year stress free.
· Attention Juniors: Registration for the 2020-2021 school year is coming up soon, and the senior English teachers have prepared a presentation to walk you through your English options for next year. If you would like to learn about English 12 CP, senior seminars, and AP Literature, please come to the Small Theater this Wednesday, Mar. 4 during AM Office Hours.
· Club Day is coming up TOMORROW, Mar. 4, so don’t forget to bring money!
· Scholar Quiz team registration opened TODAY at 6:00 am. Only the first 64 teams to register are guaranteed entry. To register, follow the link on the Scholar Quiz Webpage or enter the below address. Best of luck! https://www.miracostahigh.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=358480&type=d&pREC_ID=776197.
· During Costachella (Apr. 1), MCHS clubs that highlight diversity and/or work to create inclusion on campus are invited to promote themselves during AM Office Hours. An email was sent out inviting all clubs to apply for this networking opportunity. Please respond by Friday, Mar. 13 if you want to be eligible for this event.
· Physical Fitness testing for all 9th graders continues through March 13. Please see the *below/attached schedule. For questions, email Ms. Anderson at email@example.com.
· Students: Do NOT park your bicycles or skateboards on handicap access ramps. Use the bike racks only for this purpose. Bike racks are located throughout the school, including by the Admin parking lot, near the softball field, near the Auditorium, and near the History Building. We want our campus to be a welcoming and accessible place for all. Security will be standing by the access ramps. Students seen parking bikes or skateboards on the ramps will receive disciplinary consequences.
· Campus Beautification Day is Saturday, March 7 from 9 am to 1 pm. Come spruce up the Costa campus! Meet at Room 41 in the morning.
CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS
· Thank you to all our supporters! We have donated over two tons of food to local food banks in the last year. Our next volunteer event is on Saturday, Mar. 7 at the Los Angeles Regional Food Bank from 9 am to noon. We will be sorting food. No experience is necessary, and you will receive 3 hours of community service. The deadline to sign up is this Friday, Mar. 6. For more information or to sign up, please go to the South Bay Food Initiative wesbsite at southbayfoodinitiative.com.
· Come to American Sign Language (ASL) Club on Fridays at lunch in Room 74 to make new friends, learn new signs, and eat yummy snacks!
· Save the Date! On Mar. 7, the Soroptimist Manhattan Beach organization is launching the annual Dream It, Be It event – a career support workshop to help girls grow to be strong, successful, happy adults. Register TODAY at https://www.simanhattanbeach.org/.
· Are you a writer, poet, musician, artist, filmmaker, etc.? Do you want to be PUBLISHED?! Submit your work to Papercut, Mira Costa’s Literary and Art Magazine! Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, and/or join us for weekly meetings Mondays at lunch in Room 207!
COLLEGE AND CAREER CENTER
· Schedule a one-on-one appointment with one of our credentialed college counselors. Call 310-318-7337 ext. 5253 or email email@example.com to schedule your appointment.
· College Representative Visits in the CCC – If visit is during class please get teacher permission to attend. This is an opportunity to learn about your schools of interest and meet the admission counselors. View all visits and sign up to attend on NAVIANCE. Please bring your school ID.
- Wednesday, 3/4 – El Camino College 9:30am – 11:00am and 11:45am – 1:15pm Appointments – sign up in the CCC. Lunchtime Drop-ins welcome 11:10am – 11:40am.
- Friday, 3/6 – Santa Monica College at 9:00am
· Test Prep
Revolution Prep is offering free practice SAT and ACT exams at MCHS. All exams are held at Mira Costa High School on Saturdays from 9am to 12:30pm. Rooms TBD. Choose SAT or ACT – Test dates: 3/7/20, 5/2/20. To register for one or more exams go to: https://www.revolutionprep.com/partners/61/. Bring Calculator, pencils, water, and snack and a smart phone (if possible) to score the exam. Questions – contact Jean Stroud at 818-217-0951 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Test Prep Resources are listed on the MCHS website→College Tab→Testing or use the link: http://www.miracostahigh.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=349909&type=d&pREC_ID=759631