MIRA COSTA HIGH
“Mira Costa is a community of learners where each member
has the opportunity to achieve academic, creative,
personal, and social excellence.”
Thursday, March 5, 2020 Regular Schedule
TODAY 3/5 – PTSA Meeting at 11:30 am to 1 pm in the GOCR; Freshman 4-Year Planning Meetings with the Counselors in the CCC (during certain English classes); Physical Fitness Testing (attached schedule)
FRI 3/6 –Freshman 4-Year Planning Meetings with the Counselors in the CCC (during certain English classes); Physical Fitness Testing (attached schedule); Scheduling Screencast Goes Live; ComedySportz Match at 7 pm in the Small Theater
SAT 3/7 – Campus Beautification Sponsored by PTSA and ASB from 9 am to 1 pm, meet at Room 41 in the morning; Soroptimist Manhattan Beach “Dream It, Be It” Workshop – register at https://www.simanhattanbeach.org/.
MON 3/9 – Friday 3/13 – Scholar Quiz at lunch; Physical Fitness Testing (attached schedule)
MON 3/9 – Physical Fitness Testing (attached schedule)
WED 3/11 – Office Hours Schedule; Families Connected Speaker Series: “Vaping in 2020: What Parents Need to Know” from 6:30 to 8 pm in the RUHS Auditorium
THU 3/12 – Families Connected Speaker Series: “Vaping in 2020: What Parents Need to Know” from 6:30 to 8 pm in the RUHS Auditorium
· Please release the following students this week:
o FRI 3/6 – Boys’ Volleyball (Varsity) at 10:30 am; Boys’ Tennis (see emailed list) all day
· Juniors – Stressed just thinking about College Apps? There is a new Summer School opportunity, CAP – a college application prep class coached by Ms. Vaughan. Two sessions are available. Check out the MBX website if you want to finish your apps this summer and start your senior year stress free.
· SENIORS: You were sent a message on 2/7 asking you to click on a link to a form to fill out regarding the name you would like to use on your diploma. Please follow the link using your school MBUSDapps Gmail account if you would like the name printed on your diploma to be different than that listed in your Aeries account. Deadline to complete this form is Mar. 16. For questions, please contact the registrar, Dominique Sharp, in the Admin Office.
· Scholar Quiz team registration is now closed. The Tournament begins at lunchtime on Monday 3/9 and runs every day until Thursday 3/12. Semi-Finals will be on Monday 3/16, and the Final on Wednesday 3/18 in the Auditorium. The bracket will be posted on the website this weekend and will be updated each day. There will also be a large bracket banner outside the ASB classrooms. Everyone is welcome to come out and support your friends and classmates. Best of luck to the teams involved!
· During Costachella (Apr. 1), MCHS clubs that highlight diversity and/or work to create inclusion on campus are invited to promote themselves during AM Office Hours. An email was sent out inviting all clubs to apply for this networking opportunity. Please respond by Friday, Mar. 13 if you want to be eligible for this event.
· Physical Fitness testing for all 9th graders continues through March 13. Please see the *below/attached schedule. For questions, email Ms. Anderson at email@example.com.
· Students: Do NOT park your bicycles or skateboards on handicap access ramps. Use the bike racks only for this purpose. Bike racks are located throughout the school, including by the Admin parking lot, near the softball field, near the Auditorium, and near the History Building. We want our campus to be a welcoming and accessible place for all. Security will be standing by the access ramps. Students seen parking bikes or skateboards on the ramps will receive disciplinary consequences.
· Campus Beautification Day is Saturday, March 7 from 9 am to 1 pm. Come spruce up the Costa campus! Meet at Room 41 in the morning.
CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS
· Please join us LEGO enthusiasts this Friday, March 6 in Room 111 at lunch for LEGO Club. See you soon!
· Feeling stressed? The Eastern Medicine Club is hosting its first relaxation session with a tea ceremony and a Tai Chi session where we not only get to taste different teas, but also learn how to do a relaxing, soft-style martial art: Tai Chi. Come to Mr. Locke’s Room 352B on Mondays during lunch. Free chips, seaweed, and other snacks will be provided.
· Thank you to all our supporters! We have donated over two tons of food to local food banks in the last year. Our next volunteer event is on Saturday, Mar. 7 at the Los Angeles Regional Food Bank from 9 am to noon. We will be sorting food. No experience is necessary, and you will receive 3 hours of community service. The deadline to sign up is this Friday, Mar. 6. For more information or to sign up, please go to the South Bay Food Initiative wesbsite at southbayfoodinitiative.com.
· Come to American Sign Language (ASL) Club on Fridays at lunch in Room 74 to make new friends, learn new signs, and eat yummy snacks!
· Are you a writer, poet, musician, artist, filmmaker, etc.? Do you want to be PUBLISHED?! Submit your work to Papercut, Mira Costa’s Literary and Art Magazine! Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, and/or join us for weekly meetings Mondays at lunch in Room 207!
COLLEGE AND CAREER CENTER
· Schedule a one-on-one appointment with one of our credentialed college counselors. Call 310-318-7337 ext. 5253 or email email@example.com to schedule your appointment.
· College Representative Visits in the CCC – If visit is during class please get teacher permission to attend. This is an opportunity to learn about your schools of interest and meet the admission counselors. View all visits and sign up to attend on NAVIANCE. Please bring your school ID.
- Friday, 3/6 – Santa Monica College at 9:00am
· Test Prep
Revolution Prep is offering free practice SAT and ACT exams at MCHS. All exams are held at Mira Costa High School on Saturdays from 9am to 12:30pm. Rooms TBD. Choose SAT or ACT – Test dates: 3/7/20, 5/2/20. To register for one or more exams go to: https://www.revolutionprep.com/partners/61/. Bring Calculator, pencils, water, and snack and a smart phone (if possible) to score the exam. Questions? Contact Jean Stroud at 818-217-0951 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Test Prep Resources are listed on the MCHS website→College Tab→Testing or use the link: http://www.miracostahigh.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=349909&type=d&pREC_ID=759631